Strut & Spring

blueviol

I recently noticed that one of the rear struts is shot with its oil leaked and spread all over the wheel base. Yeah, I think it is the oil from the strut. My rear sway bar is worn out, and at hard corners, the link kept on hitting the strut on one side and I think that is what caused the problem.

Well, the struts are installed a little over a year ago and I believe the rest is still in fine condition. Can I change only one strut? and possibly with a different brand?

Also, I am wondering how long the springs last.

I still have the original springs from 95 and I am wondering if they need to be replaced as well. How do you know when to replace them?

Is there any good springs without any lowering?

Thanks,

You can buy oem or oem spec replacements easily enough from the dealer or parts wholesaler/distributor. You should do all at the same time or at least both fronts/backs at the same time. 100,000 miles is a good life expectancy for springs and struts. Some last a little longer some last a little (or a lot) less.

Yes, I am replacing the two rear struts. or Do I need to replace the front ones as well? They have about 30K miles on them. I have Biltstein struts now.

Is Tokico HP good replacement?

Asked the mechanic whether I needed to replace the springs (original and 210K miles old) and he said no! unless the springs are physically damaged. I have a feeling however that the springs will lose its original damping factor over time and stress.

What is your recommendation?

If I need to replace the springs, is lowering 1" (probably using eibach prokit) recommended?

Would it degrade the ride quality? I have seen a lowered car suffering from weakened stiffness and slopping up and down over bumps.

And would 1" drop be a problem on speed bumps and other daily driving road conditions?

Thanks,

No, you do not need to replace your front shocks as well.

I replaced mine with original Lexus shocks, so I cannot comment on the others.

I don't know how you test springs other than looking at their condition (how much rust) and looking at how they keep the car level when it is sitting there. If your car is sagging at one corner, the spring is probably weak and at fault.

Tom