Just Bought A 1991 Ls400

ec437

I have a 91 LS 400 with 250,000 and still going...payed $1700 for it. Don't ask how I did it, but I ripped the seller off.

Anyway, here are the specs for the car:

First Generation (1990-1994) Lexus LS400 Specs Performance

Engine Type: 4.0 Liter 32 valve V8

Engine Model: 1UZ-FE

Horsepower: 250 hp @ 5600 rpm

Torque: 260 ft-lbs. @ 4400 rpm

Drive Type: RWD

Transmission: 4-Speed Electronically controlled automatic with intelligence

Turning Diameter: 36.1 ft curb to curb

0-60: 7.9 seconds

Exterior Dimensions

Length: 196.7 inches

Height: 55.3 inches

Width: 71.7 inches

Wheel Base: 110.8 inches

Curb Weight: 3759 lbs.

Interior Dimensions

Front Head Room: 38.6 inches

Front Leg Room: 43.8 inches

Maximum Seating: 5

Fuel

Type: Premium Unleaded (91 Octane or higher)

Tank Size: 22.5 Gallons

Miles Per Gallon: EPA 18 city & 23 highway

Standard Equipment

4.0 Liter 32-Valve V8 Engine with Electronic Fuel Injection

4-Speed Electronically controlled automatic transmission

Speed-sensing progressive power rack and pinion steering

Anti-Lock brake system (ABS)

4-wheel double wishbone suspension

15" unidirectional alloy wheels

80 amp alternator

Cruise control

Tinted glass

Fog lamps

Dual heated power mirrors

Driver side airbag (SRS)

Power tilt steering column with automatic tilt-away and manual telescopic adjustment

Electronic analog instrumentation with image reflected warning lamps

Automatic climate control air conditioning system with rear heating and cooling ventilation

7-speaker high output audio system with bi-amplified subwoofer

Multi-adjustable power front seats with driver's side lumbar support

Adjustable front and rear headrests

Power windows with driver's side "auto" down feature and 60-second ignition-off operation

Power door locks with driver's side two-turn unlock feature

Power antenna

Remote entry system

Fade-out illuminated entry system

Vehicle and audio theft deterrent systems

Remote electronic trunk lid and fuel filter door releases

Genuine California walnut center console and door armrest trim

Four-Spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel

Liquid crystal non-glare day/night inside rear view mirror

Digital clock

Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

Emergency tool and first aid kit

Options

Leather trim package

Power tilt and slide moon roof with sunshade

Seat memory system with settings for two drivers

Lexus/Nakamichi premium sound system

Trunk mounted 6 disc CD changer

Electronic Air suspension

Traction control system (TRAC)

------------------------------------------------------------

Do NOT put anything other than Supreme or Premium Unleaded fuel in your car. If you read the gas cap and the gas gauge it says premium unleaded fuel only (anything with 91 Octane or higher). Also, a common problem in these cars is body movement (shaking while driving). First, check your two motor mounts and your transmission mount. I'm sure those will need to be changed after 13 years of driving, mine did. And check your tires to see how old they are. You may possibly need to get a set of 4 new tires and get your wheels balanced again. I had to change all my mounts and get 4 new tires and get them balanced and now my car runs like it just came from the factory. Then again, I've done so much to my car as far as repairs (totaling over $3,000) so things are getting better. But if you read up in J.D. Power Lexus makes some of the best cars out there and the 1st Gen LS 400's are one of the best. I know people with mileages between 300,000 - 500,000 and are still running. They're tough, especially with a cast iron block, it's almost indestructible.

Hope you like your new car.

Brian

Why do you miss your BMW???

Why do I miss my BMW? You ever driven an e30 before? Or any BMW for that matter...

I miss it because it was an all around awesome car. One of the best looking cars to come out of the 80's, it was easy to mantain, very reliable, and fun to drive. It held the road like an NSX, braked like a champ. It was economical and solid at high speeds. It had a roomy trunk and an interior made for the driver. Not to mention all the cool features on the onboard computer. BMWs really are the ultimate driving machine. I hope to find another before the year is up...

Just wondering- if the BMW was so grand, why did you sell it? :unsure:

I agree with 91LS400- these cars are so smooth, that the tires and mounts are sensitive. You can feel about any other vibration, because the engine is so smooth. I also agree about the engine. Even though my 90 LS400 has its quirks, it has nearly 235K miles, but the engine and transmission still operate like brand new- extremely smooth and NO oil usage/leakage between the 3K mile changes. Very impressive I think. I have no doubts that the engine/transmission in my car will go to 300K or even 500K if properly cared for. Great cars- just costly to maintain. Good luck with your new LS and welcome to club.

BTW- what do you mean about the "LSD"?

Why do I miss my BMW? You ever driven an e30 before? Or any BMW for that matter...

I miss it because it was an all around awesome car. One of the best looking cars to come out of the 80's, it was easy to mantain, very reliable, and fun to drive. It held the road like an NSX, braked like a champ. It was economical and solid at high speeds. It had a roomy trunk and an interior made for the driver. Not to mention all the cool features on the onboard computer. BMWs really are the ultimate driving machine. I hope to find another before the year is up...

Just wondering- if the BMW was so grand, why did you sell it?  :unsure:

I agree with 91LS400- these cars are so smooth, that the tires and mounts are sensitive.  You can feel about any other vibration, because the engine is so smooth.  I also agree about the engine.  Even though my 90 LS400 has its quirks, it has nearly 235K miles, but the engine and transmission still operate like brand new- extremely smooth and NO oil usage/leakage between the 3K mile changes.  Very impressive I think.  I have no doubts that the engine/transmission in my car will go to 300K or even 500K if properly cared for.  Great cars- just costly to maintain.  Good luck with your new LS and welcome to club.

BTW- what do you mean about the "LSD"?   

The reason I had to part with it was because it got totaled by a dodge neon srt4 :(

LSD=limited slip differential. Sorry 'bout the lingo, the BMW boards were full of gearheads and racing nerds. :P

I see. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Luckily, no one was hurt. I bet it faired better than the Neon!

I should have known what you meant my "LSD". Ignorance on my part. At any rate- it was optional. If your car has the option, you will see a black panel toward the back of the engine slightly to the left hand side. If it reads "TRAC" in white letters, then your car has it that option.

I just simply asked!! Nothing personal. ;)

sidenote: Why did you even consider a Lexus with such high miles if you feel so strong and passinate about BMW?

After my first Lexus experience. I can't even think about buying a non-Lexus car, unless it is free or on buy one get two free deal! :rolleyes:

I just simply asked!! Nothing personal. ;)

sidenote: Why did you even consider a Lexus with such high miles if you feel so strong and passinate about BMW?

After my first Lexus experience. I can't even think about buying a non-Lexus car, unless it is free or on buy one get two free deal! :rolleyes:

Sorry it came across that way, it wasn't intended to. Its just that you have to drive the car to appreciate it.

I bought the lexus because I needed a good deal on a nice car, and I found this lexus before I found a BMW. From what I see here 150,000 isn't that high of mileage at all! I have to admit that this is nearly the nicest car I have ever driven, but it just isn't my style. This is a great luxury car, but I want a car with the emphasis placed on the sports side of driving, which the older lexuses simply don't offer.

BTW, I'm still actively searching for a BMW :)

Sorry it came across that way, it wasn't intended to. Its just that you have to drive the car to appreciate it.

I bought the lexus because I needed a good deal on a nice car, and I found this lexus before I found a BMW. From what I see here 150,000 isn't that high of mileage at all! I have to admit that this is nearly the nicest car I have ever driven, but it just isn't my style. This is a great luxury car, but I want a car with the emphasis placed on the sports side of driving, which the older lexuses simply don't offer.

Yes, you are very correct. I haven't driven the other generation LS. But, after owning & driving the Gen. I LS I can say that it is the wrong car if you want sports&luxury in one package.

I also find BMWs to be very attractive also.

Hey, good luck on your BMW search. Keep us posted, if you decide to sell your LS later on. B)

Yes, you are very correct. I haven't driven the other generation LS. But, after owning & driving the Gen. I LS I can say that it is the wrong car if you want sports&luxury in one package.

I also find BMWs to be very attractive also.

Hey, good luck on your BMW search. Keep us posted, if you decide to sell your LS later on. B)

thanks, will do!

ec437,

The BMW's are very nice cars. Gotta love those beamers. However, since you just bought that 91 LS 400 learn to appreciate it. Get a Lexus magazine, J.D. Power & Associates, or Consumer Guide magazine. Look at the stats of the 1st Gen LS 400's as compared to Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, etc. The performance and strong engine are incomparable to the engines found inside those "other" cars, and yes, even BMW. In the first 3 months of a secret consumer satisfaction report that was held by J.D. Power & Associates, the BMW and Mercedes vehicles came out with 120+ mechanical problems in comparison to the 1st Gen LS 400's 56 mechanical problems ranging from very small/unnoticable things to bigger things.

The stock 1UZ-FE engine found inside the 1st Gen LS 400's are one of the most powerful V8 cast iron luxury engines in the world. Don't think these 1st Gen LS 400's can be souped up to be sport and luxury? Check out the Toyota Celsior's (Japan's Lexus) and see how they go crazy over these cars. The last time I was in Japan I saw body kits that were unbelievable and could not be found here in America. Superchargers, 1UZ-FE to Supra TT engine conversions, stock 1UZ-FE conversions to 1UZ-FE twin turbo, yada yada. It's hard to find these things to fix up a 1st Gen LS 400 but they exist and it is very possible but if you're not a fanatic about Lexus don't waste your time. Everyone has their favorites.

But hey, having a BMW AND a Lexus will make you, how do you say, a "baller"? Hehe.

Take care.

Brian

The Lexus V-8 is a wonderful engine - one of the best I have ever sat behind. It is however, entirely aluminum in construction, except for the integrally cast in iron cylinder liners.

I am told that BMW copied the Lexus V-8 when they designed theirs. Unfortunately BMW cheaped out on the cylinder liners and went with high silicon content aluminum for the entire cylinder wall. These wore badly on the first several million engines they made, and all had to be replaced under warranty or under a special program to keep the owners from fire-bombing the dealerships.

Welcome to the club! ;) For the BMW illiterate, what's the e30? I want to say 3/5series. :blushing: I agree they probably are the ultimate driving machines(with a realistic budget in mind), but for my everyday commute, I much rather something like a Lexus-softly sprung, quiet, extremely reliable, but a !Removed! to work on-my '95 LS400 has 236,5xx origional miles and couldn't run any better. No doubt that the Bimmer is sportier, but you'll love(at atleast appreciate) the quietness and smoothness of the powertrain and ride of your LS. Count me in for a Z4 or 645 as a weekend ride though(however, I think I'd lose my mind with the idrive controller...shame on BMW)!

SRK, your posts are always a hoot...firebombing the dealerships! lmao :lol: My neighbor had to take his 7__(I forgot the numbers) in for the engine to get rebuilt in the early ninties under a recall.

'91LS, the 1UZ-FE hung around until the 2001 LS430 made its debut. For '98+, it's the same engine, but they added VVT-i--> 30 or 40 hp for the first half of the UCF20 and all first gen cars respectivley. It's a superb engine, so they were able to hang on to it for such a long time! B)

:cheers:

BMW names all of it's body styles with codes: "e" followed by a number. The "e" stands for the german word for "development". The e30 is the 3 series made between 1983 and 1991. The next 3 series, ('92-'99) was the e36 and the current is the e46.

Here are some more codes for those that care:

e32- late 80's/early 90's 7 series

e34- early 90's 5 series.

e31- 8 series

google "BMW e codes" if you're dying to know more, which I'm sure you are, seeing as how you are on a lexus board and all. :P

Blake- I see that you have passed me on the mileage now.  I have "only" 234,500.   :D

I'm just trying to keep up with Lloyd Laycook in Utah--I'll beat his 550k someday! :D I do manage to rack up a few miles-about 13k in 7 months.

google "BMW e codes" if you're dying to know more, which I'm sure you are, seeing as how you are on a lexus board and all. :P

I'd love to know more, and I am going to google. Just because I'm in this Lexus club doesn't mean that I don't care for all other makes other there. We actually discuss other makes in here a lot, but we do it in a constructive, non mud slinging way unlike some online clubs because we know what Lexi are good at and what they aren't. My favorite thing is when an Acura owner comes cover and starts saying what a better performing car it is over Lexus, and we agree. Lexus is a smooth comfortable car with very little(or no) sport characteristics-that's why the aftermarket in the US is so limited for this make. Lexus offers the best package for my wants, so that's why I'm driving them(ES and LS). I don't take S or hairpin turns at 60mph or any spirited driving, so I go for a car with a smoother, docile ride. And, it's always a plus that I can fit my long legs in! lol When I want some kind of sporty weekend car, chances are it won't be a Lexus(eventhough the SC430 is an amazing looker. However, it's interior looks..hmm...petite!). Something like an e63 would be nice! ;) Or a S52. It turns out that I like the two weirdest BMW's out there! lol

One more for you: what's your handle mean. I googled that too, but I only came back with various BMW club handles. And, I think I found pics of your car before it met with that damn Neon. It's got Oregon tags and your LOC handle. Actually that's 2 more...why is the Mcoupe(the one that is the hatchback/wagon) have a S or did I find the wrong number? Is this her(nice looking car)? http://www.justaddbrains.com/viewtopic.php?t=2086&start=15

Blake- I see that you have passed me on the mileage now.  I have "only" 234,500.  :D

I'm just trying to keep up with Lloyd Laycook in Utah--I'll beat his 550k someday! :D I do manage to rack up a few miles-about 13k in 7 months.

I'd love to know more, and I am going to google. Just because I'm in this Lexus club doesn't mean that I don't care for all other makes other there. We actually discuss other makes in here a lot, but we do it in a constructive, non mud slinging way unlike some online clubs because we know what Lexi are good at and what they aren't. My favorite thing is when an Acura owner comes cover and starts saying what a better performing car it is over Lexus, and we agree. Lexus is a smooth comfortable car with very little(or no) sport characteristics-that's why the aftermarket in the US is so limited for this make. Lexus offers the best package for my wants, so that's why I'm driving them(ES and LS). I don't take S or hairpin turns at 60mph or any spirited driving, so I go for a car with a smoother, docile ride. And, it's always a plus that I can fit my long legs in! lol When I want some kind of sporty weekend car, chances are it won't be a Lexus(eventhough the SC430 is an amazing looker. However, it's interior looks..hmm...petite!). Something like an e63 sound be nice! ;) Or a S52. It turns out that I like the two weirdest BMW's out there! lol

One more for you: what's your handle mean. I googled that too, but I only came back with various BMW club handles. And, I think I found pics of your car before it met with that damn Neon. It's got Oregon tags and your LOC handle. Actually that's 2 more...why is the Mcoupe(the one that is the hatchback/wagon) have a S or did I find the wrong number? Is this her(nice looking car)? http://www.justaddbrains.com/viewtopic.php?t=2086&start=15

haha, nice work! Yep, that'd be my beloved BMW! You'll find me on bmw30.net, e30tech.com, automotiveforums.com, and various other message boards under the same name. The ec are my initials, and 437 is my favorite number.

The S52 is the engine code for the engine in the M coupe. Its an inline 6 in standard BMW fashion, although they were formerly known for their outstanding 4 cylinders. They also use (both now and for the past few decades) V8's, V12's, and in the upcoming M5, a V10. All of the non-motorsport division BMW cars (m stands for motorsport, therefore the m3, m5, m coupe, and other m models that are now discontinued are the motorsport models) have an engine code that begins with an "m", not an "s".

For example, the engine in a 1989 m3 (an e30 m3) would be the s14. The engine in a 1989 325is would be the m20, specifically the m20 b25. The reason for the "b25" is to differntiate from the other I6 (the m20 b27, produced less power but more torque, also 2.7L instead of 2.5L) used mostly in the base models of the e30. It was phased out after '87.

Some other engine codes are as follows:

most common engine in the e36: m50 (this was the 2.5L I6, also available in the US were a 1.8L I4 and in the later years of the e36, a 2.8L I6.)

in the e36 M3: s50

in the e46 m3: s52

in the e34 M5: s38

in the e32 750il: m70

in the 850: also the m70

BMW also used their m20 b27 and b25 in some of the e28 (early 80's) 5 series.

If you hadn't already picked up on this, BMW names their non-motorsport cars (not sure how they name the SUV's) by the series, and then the engine displacement.

ie, a 325i is a 3 series car with a 2.5 liter engine. A 328i is a 3 series car with a 2.8 liter engine. etc, etc. The only exception that I know of is the e30 325, 325e, and 325es. Although not named as such, they actually had a 2.7 liter engine.

If the name of the car includes an "x", it is all wheel drive.

If the name includes an "s", it has the sport package, which usually includes a different interior (better seats, mostly), an LSD, and stiffer suspension.

I'm not sure what the meaning of the "c" is anymore. It used to be generally used as the unofficial name for a cabrio, but now they are using it in the names of non-cabrios.

I really know FAR too much about german automobiles. :blink:

By the way, here is one of my more favorite pictures of my BMW before I had to let her go:

My_BMW.jpg

I trust that none of you will do anything devious with the license number :P , as I'm not hosting that picture and can't edit it now.

I might post more pictures later.

haha, nice work! Yep, that'd be my beloved BMW! You'll find me on bmw30.net, e30tech.com, automotiveforums.com, and various other message boards under the same name. The ec are my initials, and 437 is my favorite number.

The S52 is the engine code for the engine in the M coupe. Its an inline 6 in standard BMW fashion, although they were formerly known for their outstanding 4 cylinders. They also use (both now and for the past few decades) V8's, V12's, and in the upcoming M5, a V10. All of the non-motorsport division BMW cars (m stands for motorsport, therefore the m3, m5, m coupe, and other m models that are now discontinued are the motorsport models) have an engine code that begins with an "m", not an "s".

For example, the engine in a 1989 m3 (an e30 m3) would be the s14. The engine in a 1989 325is would be the m20, specifically the m20 b25. The reason for the "b25" is to differntiate from the other I6 (the m20 b27, produced less power but more torque, also 2.7L instead of 2.5L) used mostly in the base models of the e30.  It was phased out after '87.

Some other engine codes are as follows:

most common engine in the e36: m50 (this was the 2.5L I6, also available in the US were a 1.8L I4 and in the later years of the e36, a 2.8L I6.)

in the e36 M3: s50

in the e46 m3: s52

in the e34 M5: s38

in the e32 750il: m70

in the 850: also the m70

BMW also used their m20 b27 and b25 in some of the e28 (early 80's) 5 series.

If you hadn't already picked up on this, BMW names their non-motorsport cars (not sure how they name the SUV's) by the series, and then the engine displacement.

ie, a 325i is a 3 series car with a 2.5 liter engine. A 328i is a 3 series car with a 2.8 liter engine. etc, etc. The only exception that I know of is the e30 325, 325e, and 325es. Although not named as such, they actually had a 2.7 liter engine.

If the name of the car includes an "x", it is all wheel drive.

If the name includes an "s", it has the sport package, which usually includes a different interior (better seats, mostly), an LSD, and stiffer suspension.

I'm not sure what the meaning of the "c" is anymore. It used to be generally used as the unofficial name for a cabrio, but now they are using it in the names of non-cabrios.

I really know FAR too much about german automobiles. :blink:

By the way, here is one of my more favorite pictures of my BMW before I had to let her go:

My_BMW.jpg

I trust that none of you will do anything devious with the license number :P , as I'm not hosting that picture and can't edit it now.

I might post more pictures later.

Thank you so much for the explanation! :D You do know a lot about BMW's! Lexus makes it easy with the chassis names for the line up: 90-94 LS UCF10, 95-00 UCF20, and the 430- UCF30(I believe). ES300/30(I'm not sure about the ES250...it's like the ES stepchild! lol) cars start with MCV_ _, and I beleive SC's are UZZ_ _. What ever happened to the Mcoupe? Poor sales(i think it's cool, but I could see how most people wouldn't want a sports wagon!)? <_<

I never did understand why people black out their tags. :blushing: I suppose some psycho could hack into the DMV, track my house down, and take my car? lol

I'm not sure why BMW cut the M coupe. Usually their marketing decisions aren't driven so much by sales as by design and technology...

They are one of those companies that are ALWAYS switching around their lineup, though. It might also have been dropped because in '99 (I think it was '99) their old designer retired and was replaced by an American named Chris Bangle. That is when they started the radical makeover of the 7 series; the new 6 series and the remake of the 5 series are also his handiwork. From what I have seen of the up and coming 3'er designed by him it will be rather ugly as well.

I am looking forward to the 1 and 2 series, though.