Checkengine Light - P0440/po441/po446

timIS300

Hi, My check engine light just came on my 2001 Lexus IS 300.

I took it to Autozone to check out what is the problem and I came back with these readings.

P0440

P0441

P0446

The description for something regarding:

Emissions Control System Vent Malfunction

and

Emissions Control System Purge Flow Fault.

Could anyone elaborate on what exactley is going on, or direct me to some place which would give more information.

I am still under the Power Train warranty but I want to gather as much information as possible before I take in to Lexus to have them look at it.

Thanks,

Tim

*New to Lexus Owner's Club.

I am having the same problem with my 96 SC400; Check Engine and TRAC light on (Code P0441, Emissions Control System Purge Flow Fault). It has something to do with the Emission Control System; sometime it is easy as your gas cap was leaking and sometime it has to do with Vacuum Valves and Evaporator Charcoal Canister. I thought my was the gas cap but after replace the gasket the lights still go back on! I think I will have to replace the Charcoal Canister; which will cost me over $300 just for part (I think I could do it myself). To be honest, I am starting to dislike LEXUS (especially of silly sensor faults as these). I had so many ACURA and they never give me any problem (over 700K miles on Acura). Good Luck!

Hi, My check engine light just came on my 2001 Lexus IS 300.

I took it to Autozone to check out what is the problem and I came back with these readings.

P0440

P0441

P0446

The description for something regarding:

Emissions Control System Vent Malfunction

and

Emissions Control System Purge Flow Fault.

Could anyone elaborate on what exactley is going on, or direct me to some place which would give more information.

I am still under the Power Train warranty but I want to gather as much information as possible before I take in to Lexus to have them look at it.

Thanks,

Tim

*New to Lexus Owner's Club.

Did you recently install an aftermarket intake? Sometimes people get the gas tank vent hose mixed up with the hose that goes to the valve cover area and get them switched.

If not, the first thing to check would be your gas cap. If it wasn't put on securely it may giive throw a code. The simplest thing to do is to remove the gas cap, the put it on making sure it clicks a few times. Then reset your ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable (black wire) for about 30 minutes. Then reconnect the cable and drive the car. If the CEL goes out and stays out, then that was the problem. If the light comes back on , then you need to proceed to further checking.

If you still have the stock airbox, look fot the hose that go into it at the bottom. There's one just under the inside lower edge near the filter that goes to the tank vent canister.

Check those things out and let us know what happened.

If you hear a hissing sound when opening the gas cap then it is fine! You don't have to remove the negative battery terminal (it will reset everything). Look for a EFI fuse inside fuse box and just remove that for 30 seconds! I found the Charcoal Canister from Plano Texas for $247.25 with free shipping. I will try to trouble shoot the car again; if I can't figure it out then I just have to replace the Canister...

If you hear a hissing sound when opening the gas cap then it is fine!  You don't have to remove the negative battery terminal (it will reset everything).  Look for a EFI fuse inside fuse box and just remove that for 30 seconds!  I found the Charcoal Canister from Plano Texas for $247.25 with free shipping.  I will try to trouble shoot the car again; if I can't figure it out then I just have to replace the Canister...

The canister and other emissions parts are warranted for 100,000 miles?

Well I appreciate all your replies...

It turns out that it had something to do with the gas cap. Tightening it up and then resetting the battery made the light go off and it never came back on.

Odd...I called the dealership, and he said try that manuever and it appeared to work, saving me $105 diagnosis fee.

---

Well I appreciate all your replies...

It turns out that it had something to do with the gas cap. Tightening it up and then resetting the battery made the light go off and it never came back on.

Odd...I called the dealership, and he said try that manuever and it appeared to work, saving me $105 diagnosis fee.

---

That just goes to show you that the dealership guy is as smart as we are. :cheers: