Noisy/jerky Tilt Steering Columns

craigamuir

When you turn off the ignition in your 99-00 LS400 does the steering wheel groan and move in short jerks as it returns to the top position? Mine does. :( When there are guests in the car, it's down right embarrassing (e.g., "at least my Mercedes doesn't do that!"). I just bought my 2000 LS 400 in August and have been attempting to work out some of the bugs.

My Lexus dealer said that the behavior was 'normal', that I was just being fussy. I looked it up on <http://www.alldata.com/products/diy> and found that there was a Techincal Service Information Bulletin (TSIB) on the subject <#ST003-00 published by Lexus on May 19, 2000>. The warranty period for this fix has expired and it appears to be a rather extensive and expensive fix. But, if the problem bothers you, you may want to look into the TSIB.

FYI, my discriminating and courteous Lexus dealer is busy denying that the TSIB even exists. (The next closest dealer is 30 miles away.)

NOTE: To access data on alldata.com requires a subscription fee. This TSIB is the only item of any real import relative to the 2000 LS400s.

Mine has done this a couple times in the last few months....

It kinda "groans" as it retracts inward - but its okay on the tilt upward before retraciting.............

There's a great thread on fixing the power tilt for the steering wheels, probably current on the first or second page - it surfaced again a few days ago.....

If mine gets worse - I'll dig it up and get to work...

Thanks for the TSB!!

it appears to be a rather extensive and expensive fix. But, if the problem bothers you, you may want to look into the TSIB

Craig ...... does the repair involve electrical components or is it just a lubrication issue with the gear train?

craigamuir,

There was at least one other TSB (or TSIB) that I am aware of that covers the 2000 LS and also the 98-99 LS. The "miles since refuel" can reset itself before a trip to the gas station. By the 2000 model year, the fix was to replace the entire instrument cluster which meant having the current odometer reading "burned" into the new cluster before it was shipped to the local dealer and being without the car for a few days. I think the fix for the 98-99 LS also involved a sensor at the fuel tank. This problem happened on my car only once or twice so I did not bother to have it fixed before the basic warranty expired two months ago. I've communicated on other forums with several other owners of 98-00 LS and early LS430's with the same problem and most have not bothered to have this problem fixed.

It does seem odd that a dealer would deny the existance of a fix for a problem when he could be making money making repairs. My local dealer was quite willing to apply all TSB's before the warranties on both my LS's expired.

An alternative to alldata.com for TSB's might be the TSB section of Clublexus.com. I found the TSB on the above trip computer problem there but have not looked for TSB's there recently.

it appears to be a rather extensive and expensive fix. But, if the problem bothers you, you may want to look into the TSIB

Craig ...... does the repair involve electrical components or is it just a lubrication issue with the gear train?

Depending upon the VIN range of the vehicle, it looks like it ranges from swapping out the set bolts to replacing the telescoping motor and e-rings. It is listed as "production countermeasures". Wouldn't you love to know what that means. It says that the "warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based on customers specific complaint". Of course, the warranty has expired anyway. But usually the "fix only on specific complaint" means that most cars do not get the fix.