Es-300 1998 Check Engine P0136

jncooper

:( December of 1993 a check engine light appeared. We took our 1998 ES-300 to a Toyota dealer who charged $300 to replace the Bank One Sensor One (oxygen) mileage 58,527. In July the car stalled after starting & we took it firestone & were told the altenator was bad. We didn't believe it & took the car which was not longer stalling. We were not told the OEM code.

Last week another check engine light appeared. We took the car to a part store, who did a free OEM check. The printout was a P0136 which we were told was the Bank One Sensor Two(oxygen) mileage 66,000. The car has never been tuned up. Firestone pulled one plug & said it was ok.

My questions: Can I buy the sensor & install it myself? The sensor replaced by Toyota was $136 plus labor. Will a tune-up solve my problems? We had a lot of rain(Jeanne)? I put a injector additive in the gas tank about 3 months earlier.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

yes you can buy the sensor at Toyota and you can install it yourself.

It is not suprising that the sensor went at this many miles.

Check with Autozone and see if you can borrow an O2 sensor socket, or just purchase one, they are about $12-15. Do not use a regular socket because you will crush or kink the wire coming out the end. A box end wrench may work but it is hard to finagle in that area.

Bank 2 Sensor 1 is the easy one. You can get at it from standing in front of the car.

Open the hood and look down at the exhaust manifold between the engine and the radiator. Then spark plug looking thing with the wire sticking out of it is the sensor. When the motor is cold, grasp the wire and follow it back to the plug. Feel the sides of the plug, there is usually a lock prongor clip that has to be released before you pull out the plug. Use the new sensor's plug as an indicator of what you need to feel for. It is up under the manifold and pipe so it is hard to see while standing in front of the car.

Unscrew the sensor from the manifold with the O2 sensor or box wrench. When you get it out, whip it across the driveway so that you do not mix it up with the new one. Take the new one out of the box and install it in the reverse steps.

When you start the car, the new one will send the proper signal and the CEL should reset itself. I have never had to disconnect the battery, though some have suggested doing this to clear the code.

steviej

PS, the first line of you post says December of 1993, I think you meant 2003. :whistles:

You mentioend that they pulled one plug and said it was goo. When I changed out my plugs, all the front plugs looked good, but for some reason, all the rear plugs looked a little worn.

The 1998 does call for replacement of the plugs at 60k so you might want to have it done per schedule rather than waiting till you are forced to.