New wiper blades don't wipe uniformly

ILSILS

I just put new Rain-X Wipers assemblies on my 2009 Lexus ES350. The blades are in perfect condition. Unfortunately, the blade (24") on the driver's side doesn't wipe the surface uniformly; it misses a large area near the middle. I can see that it doesn't make contact by turning off the car when the blade is at 45 degrees. As far as I can see, the wiper holder isn't bent. But clearly, the pressure in the center isn't sufficient to make the wiper contact the windshield.

Any suggestions what to do? I've included a video to show the poor wiping action.

I would first see if one or both arms is bent, possibly from shipping pressure or impact. If you can't find anything unusual, you may want to call the wiper manufacturer and describe what you are seeing.

Weren't your original wiper blades of the "conventional" type?  See the attachment showing the types.

Beam type (also called "flat") wiper blades often work poorly on curved windshields - even on slightly curved windshields. 

If your original blades were of the conventional type, then go back to using those.  

Wiper blade types.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 9:43 AM, 1990LS400 said:

Weren't your original wiper blades of the "conventional" type?  See the attachment showing the types.

Beam type (also called "flat") wiper blades often work poorly on curved windshields - even on slightly curved windshields. 

If your original blades were of the conventional type, then go back to using those.  

Wiper blade types.jpg

I hadn't thought about 4 types of wipers. So, your suggestion made me look into the OEM wipers on my car. But I couldn't find which of the 4 you show above. But I did lean that major replacement blades come in the various types shown. In the end, I just returned the clearly ineffective blade to Autozone. The salesman suggested the 'best' and most expensive wiper they have, the Bosch 24" Beam Wiper Blade, and it worked fine. Thanks for your help, Jim.

• Like 1