Ecu Reset

SC4Million

Ok Everyone,

After doing some reading on an Australian Soarer Site I came across the mod to re-set the ECU for more power. The site said you could re-train your ECU to have more power by resetting it (disconnect the neg. batt. wire) and then driving the car hard. I cross referenced with this site and found mixed results.

So I just did this about 30 min ago and here are my initial impressions.

Before:

Good Bottom End

Soft Shifts

Good Mid-Range Power

Ok High-end Power

After:

Bad Bottom End

Hard Shifts

Good Mid-Range Power

Ok High-end Power

It seems that I have lost quite a bit of low end torque. I am HOPING that after a few days of driving that this will return. When I first bought the car it had pretty sad low end (about a month ago). The longer I drove it the better it got untill I could brake stand any time and always chip the tires off the line. So I'm betting the same thing will happen again. I dont know why the Trans. shifts harder now, but it does.

Overall I woud say that this is a pretty poor way to make your car faster. If you want to re-train the ECU just drive the car harder than usual every day. It will lean your driving habits and accomidate.

I will update this thread if I notice any other changes.

Please feel free to add questions and comments.

Believe it or not I noticed slightly the same results when taking off the snorkel from the intake. Not sure if it was breathing warm air at idle, or taking in a larger volume of air, but it would bog in the low end.

After a couple hours of driving around it got much better, interesting enough the intake note is getting more quiet the more the ECU learns. It's like it was too rich or lean and now it's near stoich again.

If my ecu was going rich from removing the snorkel, it means it wasn't getting as much air for a given TPS value methinks. So maybe removing the snorkel lowers air intake at low RPM. Wish I had a dyno in my garage. :blink:

I'm not sure what the learning curve is like on the ECU, but it got a lot quicker about a day after I picked up the car. They must have had the battery out for a while when I was paying for the car, and when I picked it up the ECU hadn't learned anything yet. So it was bogging a little, still quick but not like it is now. I did a run at the strip the other day that felt boggy (car was cold, too cold I think) and it was only a 16.3. Ran 3 or 4 more runs right away and each time went down about .2 or .3 of a second while the ECU learned. Last run I did was 15.230 @ 93.75 mph

Supposedly it learns quite well to adapt to blowers, even when using the 315 cc injectors and opening up the bypass screw it learns to fuel the car correctly. And luckily the '92 SC still only has OBD-I

Cheers,

Aaron