Power Steering Woes

Bobcat27

Within the last couple of months I've encountered several major system failures. The most problematic is a failure of the power steering. I did all of the usual checks fluid levels and filter etc. I took the vehicle to a AAA recomended repair shop and was told the rack and pinion assembly was defective. Estimated cost of repairs $1250. I'm the original owner of the vehicle and I just turned 109k. I'm debating having it repaired as the cost of the repairs are approx. half of what the vehicle is worth. Cosmetically the car is great shape just the typical parking lot scratches. The other issue is the AC, it won't hold a charge it has been dye checked with no apparent leaks. If anyone has any experience with either of these issues I would be glad to hear from you.

The power steering system of the '90-'94 models has some quirks that repair shops can use as a reason to empty your bank account if you're not careful. The power steering pump and steering rack really don't wear out, but they can develope leaks due to the buildup of excessive pressures in the system.

Excessive pressures develope because the steering rack solenoid filter screen gradually becomes clogged over time and needs to be periodically removed and cleaned. Same thing for the filter screen inside the power steering fluid reservoir.

Another leaking point is the power steering fluid flow control valve located next to the fluid reservoir. This flow control valve should be replaced (valve costs about $80) and the new design that Lexus uses is more durable and leak free.

Finally, the rubber 0-rings inside the power steering pump harden and deteriorate over time, causing leaks and loss of steering assist. Lexus dealers carry a pump re-seal kit and a Toyota dealer can dissassemble and install the new seals for a couple hundred dollars. This is considered better than buying a rebuilt pump at Autozone because the quality of the factory original pump is likely superior.

Anyway, once you get these items taken care of the fluid pressures will be lower and the loss of steering assist you are currently experiencing may dissappear and therefore you wouldn't need a new $2,000 steering rack. Use only Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid in the power steering system.

HELP!!!

To anyone that's rebuilt their PS pumps... I've got mine out of the car ('92 LS400, not the SC400 in the pic).

Anyway, I've got the two halves separated. Removed the c-clip from the main bearing side, but unfortunately the vane housing (the piece that sits over top of the rotor assy) wont come out. Is there a special trick to it???

I'm just going by the instructions on planetsoarer.com which are for my SC400, but I'm working on my moms LS400. Anyway same pump.... I see a small pin that looks like it aligns the vane housing with the rotor housing.

I need to get this piece out so that the main shaft will be exposed and I can tap it out.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Aaron