Nosie On Freeway

msugi07

Hey guys. I just bought my Lexus and it was used. I'm going to take it to Lexus when I have time, but for now I'll just ask you guys. When driving on the freeway I'll hit about 85 or 90 and I'll start to get this weird high winding nosie. It only does it when I hit that speed and I can even put it in neutral and the sound is still there. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks

Could be lots of things. Tires may have a certain speed where they whine. Other things might be wind in the antenna or whistling through some body part or something. You might want to try driving on contrete, black top and other type rosds to find out if it's the tires. Maybe a better description of the noise would help.

It may also be part of the underbody carriage, as lexus had a minor recall on one of the underbody panels, to replace one that makes a high pitched whistling sound on the freeway at certain angles. It has happened to me, and I actually got a Lexus CPO recall index card, but when I went in to have this part replaced, it was on back-order. Anyway, it is a very small problem.

• 1 month later...

Was this ever fixed? I am experiancing the same problem but the incompetent technicians of McGrath Lexus in Westmont IL say that it is normal air noise. My problem just started to happen 1 month ago, I have an 02 IS300. The high pitch wistle happens as soon as I hit 60 MPH, and can be reproduced everytime. It is a whilstling noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side front window. I have had nothing but problems with this car, whether it is the panel under the steering wheel rattling like I am taking off on a 747, or both the passenger and driver side font seats squeeking like 30 year old couches, and now this whistling noise. The think that bugs me the most is that the STEALERSHIP is like an insurance company they will keep denying your claim until one day they may take a look at it. I would expect more for a $36,000, but hey I learned my lesson.

Was this ever fixed?  I am experiancing the same problem but the incompetent technicians of McGrath Lexus in Westmont IL say that it is normal air noise.  My problem just started to happen 1 month ago, I have an 02 IS300.  The high pitch wistle happens as soon as I hit 60 MPH, and can be reproduced everytime.  It is a whilstling noise that seems to be coming from the drivers side front window.  I have had nothing but problems with this car, whether it is the panel under the steering wheel rattling like I am taking off on a 747, or both the passenger and driver side font seats squeeking like 30 year old couches, and now this whistling noise.  The think that bugs me the most is that the STEALERSHIP is like an insurance company they will keep denying your claim until one day they may take a look at it.  I would expect more for a $36,000, but hey I learned my lesson.

On the IS300 there are two openings under the floor. One is just to the left of where the driver's left foot rests. The other is on the opposite side under the passenger's right foot. They are just inside the frame wells. These are oval holes that originally have a plastic plug in them. If the plugs come our or are taken out, you get a noise that sounds like it's coming from the window area.