Did I Do Good?

Lexus Envy

I have always loved the LS400 since the day they were introduced, hence my name "envy". I could never justify spending the kind of money one of them would cost, but after stumbling onto the 90 Lexus I bought a month ago for $5800, I have gone from "I really Love this car" to "you fool, you just spent almost 6 grand on a car with 150k on it" back, and forth I go between the two extreams.

The people who owned before me, along with regular engine, and transmission maint, had service records of:

at around 90k they relpaced, Fuel filter, Power Steering pump, Timeing belt, a $600 brake job with all rotors, and calipers replaced, Air condtioner condenser, and compresor, water pump, and knuckle joints (?) replaced.

At around 145k they replaced the entire Rack and Pinion assembly $2300, another $600 brake job, and a new drivers seat, the whole seat. Along with lots of gaskets, and a rear main seal

I now have a car that needs struts all round, hydralic hood supports, a sub woofer, the AC makes a faint growning noise, very cold though, and the temp, time, and radio led's don't illuminate at night, they do but there is no back light.

Except for a few stone chips on the paint job, the car shines like a new cream colored penny, not a single dent on it, not even a door ding, and I love the classic body style it has. The interior is quiet, and spotless too.

Should I keep this car, or should run for the hills and sell it as fast as I can before its starts lose anymore value?

Jimmy :unsure:

:cheers: Welcome to the Lexus world! No price is too high for keeping this car. Now that the hard part is done, sit back, enjoy and drive with the pride you can have with an LS. Being a 1990 Driver myself, I know of what you speak BUT compare that with what you would have to do to some other car and the results thereof! --- Lack of that LEXUS feel that no-other car has!

yes, You did Good!

Ron Johnson

:D

yeah exactly......you have all the expensive pain in the neck stuff outta they way :)

that seems to be a good find with all those repairs for sure....if all you need is some new struts and a climate control fix(all gen1's are blacked out, you're not alone) and a sub......i would say you are in EXELLENT shape.....

you can expect another 150K atleast outta her

:cheers:

:D I feel much better now.

I am suprised at how many of the older Lexus I see out there now that I own one too, I notice these things.

Umm, I kept a 89 Toyota Cressida, from 100k to 200k. I loved that car, but the went through 2 AC compressors, and it always leaked oil. You would fix one leak and another would magicly apear lol. Ran like a champ though.

I lost it in a parking garage fire :(

Thanks for your input Ron

Jimmy

Let's see...new steering rack, p/s pump, a/c componets, timing belt service, new seat, an assortment of gaskets...yep, you did really well! ;) I bought OEM hood supports off of ebay for $70(I have a '95 though); it takes about 10 minutes to put them in. There is a diy retro fit for this. I didn't want to start drilling out the brackets and what not plus I'm lazy, so I just bought the real things. It sounds like you just need to have the lights in the center stack changed, so you can see at night! Is the climate control lcd blacked out? Here are two reputable, online Lexus parts departments with great prices(for the struts or any other part on the car if you plan to diy)!

http://www.irontoad.com

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808

You won't be doing any running because these cars last a very long time! However, I must warn you that parts are very expensive as is labor. I have a '95 LS with 235,08x miles that still gets 20/25 fuel mileage and still goes like a bat out of hell when I punch it. What more can I ask for! :D Do you have any pics of your new car?

Best of luck and enjoy the car! B)

:cheers:

Start buying your parts online and do as many repairs yourself and you'll save a ton of money. You definitely did good, I mean, nearly every common thing has already been replaced! I'm jealous :P.

Check out my site for lots of money saving info: http://www.lexls.com

Here's the DIY hood strut retrofit: http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/howto_hood_shocks.htm

Oh, and 145k is nothing for an LS :cheers: