Problem Shifting From Park - 97 Es300

gbdysart

Hi, hoping someone can help me here. New to the list and first post. My mother has garage kept 1997 ES300 with only 11K miles! Car has been sitting alot since dad passed away a few years ago. Anyhow, the car has developed a problem recently. It won't come out of park every so often. No freqency, happens if the car is cold or hot. Anyone know what might be causing this? Is there a switch or something on the brake pedal that might be bad?

TIA

Glenn

yes there is a switch and it is at the top of the brake pedal. This would be my first thought, too. In the manual, there is a way to access the override switch that is in the shift console. Not that hard to replace if that is the culprit.

When the car does go into gear, does it run ok?

Also, since the car has sat for about 7 years then there is some serious preventative mantenances that should be done. Total fluid replacements would be a good start (oil and filter, tranny, coolant, ps, brake). Check the belts and CV boot covers as they are rubber and may have dried out due to lack of use and age.

steviej