Help ! Abs Noise

wildcatpete

I purchased a certified pre-owned ES300 with 21k miles on it back in March. After about three months of driving the car I began to hear a "rubbing like" sound in the wheel wells after startup. The sound would only occur at this time and not after the car had been running.

I brought it in to the dealerand they stated it was due to the ABS system doing a self test and there was nothing wrong with the car therefore there is nothing they can do about it. When I asked him why it was not there when I bought the car he simply stated it was always there and I just did not notice it. Not only his statement insulting, it was wrong. The noise is rather loud and not one I would expect from a luxury car.

Has anyone run into this with their ES and if so, were you able to solve the problem or is it smething I have to live with as the dealer states?

Pete

there is a noise that the ABS modulator does make but it is brief and only happens at start up. I would not say it was a rumble. Mine is more like a soft buzz and comes more from the right front. The ABS modulator is right next to the front of the right wheel well. I hear it most upon first start up in the morning as opposed to the rest of the day. (maybe just a personal ear thing for me).

Start the car with someone standing next to the engine bay with the hood up.

Try turning the key to ON, but don't start the car, see if you can hear it.

When in doubt with your dealership, always get a second opinion. The warranty (new or CPO) follows the car not the dealership.

steviej