1st Gen Cluster Lights

In the traditional needle, 18 SMD's were used to light the needle. they ran all the way up the inside face of the needle and pointed directly into the face. This made for a needle that was very brilliant, but unfortunately the needle was made completely of plastic. Over time the severe heat dries the plastic out and it becomes brittle. This process starts to seperate the needle inside and the end result is a flickering or dead needle. So your options are to find or buy a new needle [ which results in the same problem that you have experienced ] or have the old diodes replaced with LED'S which will last at least 10 years.

You should contact your lexus dealer and ask if they have the guages in stock or how much $ they are first , Or email me and I can provide you with a 'fix' that takes some patience and some soldering experience , [ the file won't post ] And there is www.lextech.org that will take your current cluster rework the cluster and send it back to you with all the backlights and new LED'S behind the needles .:cheers: Oh by the way the needles are easy to replace they just pull off and push on , The needles have a 1/4 turn mounting choice [ You'll see if you pull a needle ] So you want to push the needles back on with the gas tank full , the car warm , at idle , so you can position all the needles in the necessary position , The smoked plastic faceplate can be removed without pulling the cluster itself just remove the cowling around the cluster and you will find 4 [ four ] phillips head screws 2 [ two ] top and 2 [ two ] bottom in the front of the cluster itself [ these are not the mounting screws of the cluster they are inset and closer to the front lens ] Once the screws are removed you can take the front lens out by pulling the bottom out first then the top . BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE NEEDLES , A FIRM AND DECIDED PULL HAS TO TAKE PLACE , THE LESS HANDLING THAT TAKES PLACE THE BETTER ] Replace in reverse order.

hey DC email me :) sales@lextech.org

PS- Nice quote, i seemed to have remembered writing that somewhere :P lol. :)

In the traditional needle, 18 SMD's were used to light the needle. they ran all the way up the inside face of the needle and pointed directly into the face. This made for a needle that was very brilliant, but unfortunately the needle was made completely of plastic. Over time the severe heat dries the plastic out and it becomes brittle. This process starts to seperate the needle inside and the end result is a flickering or dead needle. So your options are to find or buy a new needle [ which results in the same problem that you have experienced ] or have the old diodes replaced with LED'S which will last at least 10 years.

• 1 year later...

Firsty, Hello.

to buy these in the UK is a staggering , 350£ for the speedo and tacho needles, and for some one to repair them in a shop is a silly price of 509£ !!!!!

DC Fish, id like to pick your brains if possible

can you please post the fix file plese, as im trying to source a second hand cluster i can "play" with

as for a push on pull off type, are they the same for the speedo and tacho?. is there an ident in them so u get the same readings as before (speedo calibration and that)

i know this is an old topic, but i cant warrant spending 500£ just for 2 needles, and the thought of sending my cluster by mail to the US scares me :)

Thanks

Steve

Firsty, Hello.

to buy these in the UK is a staggering , 350£ for the speedo and tacho needles, and for some one to repair them in a shop is a silly price of 509£ !!!!!

DC Fish, id like to pick your brains if possible

can you please post the fix file plese, as im trying to source a second hand cluster i can "play" with

as for a push on pull off type, are they the same for the speedo and tacho?. is there an ident in them so u get the same readings as before (speedo calibration and that)

i know this is an old topic, but i cant warrant spending 500£ just for 2 needles, and the thought of sending my cluster by mail to the US scares me :)

Thanks

Steve

When you get the extra cluster send it to LLS www.lextech.org and get it done right, Then switch clusters and sell the extra one, Or ???

yeah thought about that, the rate for uk to dollar at the mo it would cost me 100£ for all needles doing which isnt too bad, carriage is the main issue, lextek say you do shipping, its a reversal for return shipping, i dont think you can do it like that in my case, prices will be very hard to work out from my end.

if i could get destructions , rough or silly questions answered id do it myself, but that is a last option, as for a cluster id say 200$

Steve

• 1 year later...

dcfish,

Old thread but still relevant. Would you mind PMing me the file that has that DIY fix? I just tired to message you and I guess as a new poster I'm not allowed to used private messaging.

Thanks,

DonS in Austin