Time To Replace A Lot Of Bolts?

hammer008

Problem: While working on my car, many bolts are braking/cracking on me :cries: ...

1. Since everyone said replacing pads was so easy, I decided to replace pads. However, the upper bolt holding the caliper broke leaving the other half inside the caliper (pin-bolt?). How do you get them out???

2. The bolts holding the plastic flaps on the front bottom of car...(every second one broke on me. I tried to drill them out and I broke my drill bits too! I have only a few bolts holding that plastic flap on.

It seems there are 2 types of bolts on the LEXUS...the ones that rust easily and the ones that don't. For instance, the ones holding the fog lamp still look new. Why couldn't they use these kinds of bolts...on everything...: :chairshot:

I come down to heat cycling causing the bolts to get surface rust which seize them but the bolts itself are good.

Are you asking for help in a question or just venting?

Be lucky it is every other bolt my 89 civic recently had a full suspension swap while it sat on my drivway for 3 weks while i got backordered bolts at $10-15 bucks a pop as all 13 of them were seized,i did get lucky as one came out nice and easy.

Well, I got impatient and brought the car to One Stop Auto.

$150 to take out 1 single broken caliper bolt out replace with a new one ($35)...

Did I get ripped off?? I am thinking I could get a new caliper for that. :(

Further, how do you guys attempt to get "headless bolts" off? Easyout? Reverse drill?

This must be a common problem....I changed my rear brakes this summer and noticed that both rear calipers were missing a bolthead.

How crucial is it that I get the bolts replaced? The calipers are still held in fine...it's just a pain in the !Removed! to install pads.