92 Es 300 Problem.....has Stumped Everyone?!

basserdrew

Ok guys I have a tricky one for ya. My 92 ES 300 has been solid for a while now until one day when cranking it up it decides to sorta go slow, even with accelerator all the way down. Eventually it started moving and it was fine the rest of the day crank after crank. Mainly in the mornings and after long periods of no use is when the problem occurs. It has gradually gotten worse as well. I start her up and im gettting nothin. Then a few seconds/minutes go by and she slowly starts to move. Then finally after a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile she speeds up fast, almost catching up to where she should be (based on how far the down the accelerator has been). Once she is really moving the car is fine for the rest of the day. Then next morning, same problem. Any ideas? Some have said maybe a sensor? it doesnt seem major it just seems that the car is bogged down or sluggish and then out of nowhere it breaks out of its sluggishness and is fine. Very odd. Hopefully someone has seen this occur and can help me out. I'm trying to sell my car but I dont want to drive it to where it is ok and fool someone only to have them realize that something is wrong the first morning the crank it up. However I want to know how much the fix will cost so i can do it or tell them the amount. BTW I am the second owner and it is in amazing shape (everything works, AC, Cruise, all power features, clean carfax, recently replaced timing belt, waterpump, and thermostat, 170,00 strong, new tires, alignment, rotation) Literally the only thing wrong with the car is this slight glitch that doesnt even bother me, but it might bother someone else. Asking 4,900. Hoping for 4000. Thanks for any help. :)

how dirty in the idle air control valve and the throttle body. These are easily cleaned in the driveway. Several members can share their experiences with step by steps. If you do this, check the air tube from the air box to the throttle body. Make sure there are no cracks or holes in the accordian tubing. This tubing gets old, dry and brittle. Holes and cracks will mess up the signals the MAF sensor is sending to the ECU. It may also be a lazy or sluggish throttle position sensor. Clean or check that out.

I have to ask, before I go any further. Your description hints that this is more engine than tranny. Is the car shifting alright? When you say the car gets going, do you mean the whole car in motion or the engine rpms rise to where they should be. Follow where I'm going with this?

steviej

I would say it is the tranny that is going.

IACV will make ti hard to start but not really sluggish.

You need to do a tranny flush not drain and fill asap.

Your tranny is getting stuck in second gear and moving slowly until the filter uncoagulates from clutch debris causing low pressure.

Fix today or replace a tranny shortly.