P1127 Ects Int. Malfunction On '98 Gs300

I took my '98 GS300 into an independent Lexus mechanic today after an amber "check engine" light came on. After diagnosing the problem, he discovered that my car has an "intermittent open circuit in accelerator pedal position sensor". The diagnostic code is: P1127: ETCS Actuation Power Source Circuit Malfunction. I have had no problems with acceleration (even with the light on). The mechanic did mention the car was operating fine for the moment. He then cleared the "check engine" light.

Question: Since this part is fairly costly and I plan on trading in the vehicle in about 6 months, is this something I can just continue to drive and see if it was an anomaly or is this something that can leave me stranded on the side of the road??

thanks,

jromeo96

It may leave you stranded, or it may get you killed. Imagine pulling out into traffic and the car suddenly stops moving? Not a pretty picture? This happened to me. I barely coasted out of the path of a cement truck.

I suppose the answer to weather to repair or not is how close to the edge you prefer your driving experiences. :cheers:

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to make clear that the mechanic did NOT find any indication that the ECTS function was not working, but it may be a "false" report (ie: bad sensor). I can live with a bad sensor. The light has not come on since it was cleared. Do you all still think it needs fixed? I'm leaning towards it. Although it's about $400 USD to fix. Kind of steep for my pocket book these days.

-jromeo96

What is it that the mechanic suggested that you replace? Here is the diagnosis for P1127 from the Lexus manual. I don't see anything that really should be replaced. This fault indicated an interruption in the wiring to the specific terminal on the ECM. Could be a dirty fuse, fuse ready to die, dirty connector terminal, or a broken wire.

The article from the manual suggests that even though power to the throttle motor is shut down, throttle operation should still be possible through the throttle cable. Your statement about having no acceleration problems suggests that this is true. I was unaware that the throttle cable was directly linked to the throttle plate (throttle valve, as Lexus describes it.)

In light of this, this specific condition most likely poses minimal threat to your safety. Though, when this condition manifests itself, the VSC and traction control systems will not be able to modify engine speed, thereby they will not be able to work as intended should an emergency maneuver be attempted.

P1127.pdf

• Like 1