'99 Cracked Steering Wheel

rvgraham

My new (to me) '99 with the wood steering wheel has a crack at about 11 O'Clock that runs a bit more than half way around the wood (in the direction of a spoke, not following the circumference). I'll try to post a picture later.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this, and does the warranty cover it, or do they say it's normal aging? I have the CPO warranty, they've already replaced the stereo head unit and are replacing a power window motor for noise problem and the low washer fluid sensor this week. In other words, this CPO warranty is, so far, better than most new car warranties that I've had in that they are replacing things that aren't acting ideally, even though they haven't failed yet.

It's not the nature of wood to sit forever in the direct sun and not eventually dry and shrink some more. I'm not sure whether or not the latest finishing processes are supposed to be semi-permanent or if the old truisms still apply. I can't swear to it that it's the wood that's cracking, and not the finish on the wood. Not sure what the finish on the wood is; I don't think it's a lacquer, more likely an acrylic but that stuff gets beyond my knowledge. Rambling now....

Bob

I'll do some rambling too. My guess is that the crack is from an impact since OEM wood on modern cars seems to be very well sealed and resistant to sun damage. I can't say the same for aftermarket wood kits - I saw an aftermarket, dealer installed wood kit on a six or seven year old Toyota Avalon a few months ago that was looking incredible faded and worn. I have been in the drivers seat of at least five 99-00 LS400's, including my own, in the past few months and have not noticed any cracks.

With that said, damage at the 10 or 11 o'clock is consistent with sun damage on a car with an all leather steering wheel. The leather on my 90 LS was quite faded between the 9 and 11 o'clock by the time I sold it last year. I sure wish I had tinted the side windows much sooner.

Regarding impact damage, the wood (or the wood finish - I did not know which)in the center console of my 90 LS was cracked a few years ago when I was rear ended ($10,000 damage). Very odd since rear of the car did not look all that bad after the crash and it was amazing to me how the force of the impact traveled all the way to the console wood. My point is that it does not take all that much of a jolt to crack wood or the finish covering it.

rvgraham,

I believe its covered under your warranty - you should press for a new one. I have read on this forum where it has been replaced under the CPO program - so it's likely you can do the same.

Post a pic............if possible.

I've got a small 1/4" slit around 1 o'clock on my wheel.....but its just on the "clearcoat" and not in the wood-------I'll keep and eye on it.

I keep a white towel in my glove box to put over the wheel when I park outside - and I always try to park with the windshield away from the sun if I can.........

Thanks for your replies.

By perusing another, unnamed lexus forum, I've run accross several posters who have had their steering wheels replaced at Lexus expense; apparently $1600+ worth of expense! Some even said that the service personnel brought it to the owner's attention without being asked!

It's going in for the window motor and washer fluid sensor on Wednesday, I think I'll bring it up at that time.

Bob

Some even said that the service personnel brought it to the owner's attention without being asked!

Thats actually not all that surprising. Whether Lexus is paying through warranty or you the owner are paying, the dealership gets paid all the same. Its in the dealership's best interest to find all problems and get them covered under warranty.