Power Steering Pump

sal5674

Has anyone experienced this? With a new power steering pump installed, I now find the steering in my '93 SC400 different, um, tighter or harder to turn than the old leaky pump. Or is it I'm just getting used to driving my LS400 while the coupe was down? P.S. I bled the system 3 times already.

I bought a re-built on e-bay, but now knowing what I know, I would have done the same thing as you, rebuild it yourself. I hooked up a few really good sites on the procedures and found it to be, well, lets say not impossible to do! The"heavy feeling" in the steering wheel is a good description, I found out there is a screen in rack, that when cleaned is said to clean that up. I just don't know where it is, but I'll find it & let you know!

ANYBODY HEARD OF THE PS PUMP SELINOID SCREEN DOWN NEAR THE RACK BY THE STEERING KNUCKLE? I UNDERSTAND THERE IS A SCREEN THAT NEEDS CLEANING TO GET THAT SMOOTH AS SILK FEELING BACK IN THE WHEEL, THEY SAY IT WILL GIVE YOU THAT REAL HEAVY FEELING WHEN CLOGGED, I DONT HATE THAT NEW FEEL BUT I THINK A CLOGGED SCREEN CAN CREATE BACK PRESSURE, THEN A POSSIBLE LEAK, THEN AN ALTERNATOR, AND ON & ON

I'm rebuilding the pumps in my SC and LS this weekend. I got the new bearings today (asked for NTN6303, got equivalent SKF 6303-2RSH, sealed). To anyone that's done this, how large was the bearing???

OD on this bearing is almost 2", ID is about 3/4". Also were yours sealed or open?

I've got a list of things to pickup before I do this so here's my list if anyone wants to change anything...

- seal kit Toyota part #04446-24012 (same for both cars???)

- 2 x 6303 bearings (1 for each)

- about 16 litres of Dex III

- brake and parts cleaner to clean pumps during rebuild

- clear PVC tube for flushing

- return and high pressure lines???

- SS screw type clamps to replace stock 1 time use clamps

Here's the order I'm going to do it in...

1) R&R the pump, remove as much of the old fluid as possible

2) reinstall pump, fill reservoir with DEX III and flush until clean

3) remove solenoid and clean screen (possibly more than once)

4) put tires in air and get as much air purged as possible

Can anyone point me in a better direction? I'll report back after their done, both cars have slow leaks and spongy/heavy steering at times, and the typical whine. The LS gets dry steered and hits the bump stops all the time (mothers car) so it'll be a good test of my rebuild ability!!! LOL