Front Suspension "softness"- Your Car Rates?

90LS400Lexus

The front suspension on my car does not seem to be as "soft" as I would like for it to be. The struts appear to be original. I would think that by now, they would be worn and allow a soft, floaty ride, but it does not. Typically, when a strut/shock wears out, it will allow extreme softness and excessive bounce. On my car however, it reacts as if the car is bottoming out at times- not absorbing the bumps well at all.

I thought that the springs may be bad, but the car does not sag in the front, so can I rule that out?

It may be normal- I do not know. I am wondering though- how would you rate your cars front suspension? Does it soak up the bumps with ease? Are they original? Thanks!

soft floating went out with a '59 Cadillac !!!!

LOL, but actually, most any car will typically "float at highway speeds with worn struts, unless the car is less than about 2500 lbs. then on a car of that weight with worn suspension, it will have a "quick bouncing" motion. I asked that because I was seeing if I could rule out the struts, since the front is not "bouncy" or floaty.

Thanks 99. You may be right- I guess the compression on them is low, hence the "bottoming out" feel to them, but I would think it would bounce a bit and/or have a spongy ride from the front- which is does not.

Struts ( or really properly called shocks the way lexus uses them) don't always "wear" the way you would think. The shock is a gas filled chamber with % valving. X amount of resistance down and X amount of reboud up. If the valving in the shock has a problem, then you could have a rougher ride than what you did originally. This is why I replaced the front ones on the Lexus. They are cheap.

Now here is an example although the application is totally different. My 99 Ford Pickup has a steering stablizer. This "shock" is all it really is.....is designed to be equally hard to compress as it is to extend. A "50/50" shock if you will.

But my Ford has been wandering down the road lately. So I decided to investigate the steering and see if I could find a problem. I disconnected the steering column and jacked up the vehicle. Turned the wheels left and right by grabbing the tire. Steering to the right seemed a little harder than steering to the left. :angry:

So I disconnected the steering stabilzer (shock) and the steering felt equal. I removed the stabilzer and took it to the Ford parts dept where I could compare it with a new one. There were no dents or damage to my stabilzer and no leakage of any kind. Sure enough the new one was equal pressure both ways where mine was really hard to compress but easy to extend. The new stabilizer has made the truck drive like new.

So there is more than one way for a shock or strut to fail. If the gas leaks outs then yes...it will float down the road. But if the valving inside has a problem you could end up with a rough ride.

My car is pretty(if 10 were the softest, I'd rate my LS in the 7 range.) soft, but she never floats. It's(my LS) definantly not the softest ride I've ever experienced(I rode in a 97ish LeSabre the other day, now that is the softest, floatiest ride I've ever experienced!), but it is not harsh in any means. Unlike most people, I don't think the Lexus is quite the boat others say it is. I've taken some turns(like sharply curved on ramps) at very quick speeds, and considering the general softness of the ride, it handles pretty well to me!

:cheers:

My car is pretty(if 10 were the softest, I'd rate my LS in the 7 range.) soft, but she never floats. It's(my LS) definantly not the softest ride I've ever experienced(I rode in a 97ish LeSabre the other day, now that is the softest, floatiest ride I've ever experienced!), but it is not harsh in any means. Unlike most people, I don't think the Lexus is quite the boat others say it is. I've taken some turns(like sharply curved on ramps) at very quick speeds, and considering the general softness of the ride, it handles pretty well to me!

:cheers:

As a former Buick owner (a 1972 Buick Electra & a 1992 Buick Park Avenue) I can agree with you about the suspensions. Most all Buicks, have a soft, cushy and floaty ride. My grandmother has a 1998 Buick LeSabre and it has super soft suspension. Also, my aunts mother has a 1999 LeSabre- same way.

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being softest) the front suspension on my car would rate a 4. I am not saying my car has a harsh ride, but I feel that the front suspension could be doing a lot more "work" if you will. The rear is supple- I would rate it a 7. A bit floaty in the rear at highway speeds, but well controlled in town. If I could get the front suspension toned down, it would probably have a perfect ride in conjunction with the rear suspension.

If I keep the car I will definitely be replacing the front struts. Needs the front strut bar bushings anyway.

Here is the 1972 Buick Electra I mentioned- this was one of the best riding cars I have ever owned. It was like riding on a cloud!! :D

This photo was taken about 3 years ago, before the driveway received concrete.

post-4-1094273280.jpg