Timing Belt , change?

Frank DUva

Hi, I have a 2002 SC430 and don't believe its ever had the timing belt changed. I read a couple of articles saying the age can diminish its' reliability as much as high mileage can. I had a few estimates on the job and they are all around $1800 for belt, water pump and tensioner. I was wondering if that's normal pricing and if it's really necessary for me to change it with such low mileage. 

If you fail to timely replace your timing belt and water pump your engine could suffer catastrophic damage. Do it. Do it now. My mechanic charged $475 today for labor to replace the timing belt and water pump on my LS 400 with 174K miles. My AISN brand kit cost $189 from Sumit plus antifreeze and liquid gasket for a total of $300 for parts. The Stealership will rob you blind. I saw that my belt was cracked and my pump’s weep hole was crusty from leaking. It looks like I was a whisker away from shredding my motor. I’m glad I did it now and avoided killing my Lexus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice Steve. The kit I'm requesting is an AISIN for $213, with water pump, tensioner, idler and belt. The 4 shops' I received quotes from are reputable and all about $1800, one with a 3-year, 36,000 mi. warranty. The dealers are not rated very well here. I'm not driving it till I can get the belt serviced.  

• 2 weeks later...

I bought it Nov. 2022 with 39k on it. Didn't think about the timing belt until I started researching the car and its engine,  features and maintenance. It's 21 years old and the book says 70,000 miles or 6 years change the belt. I don't believe the belt has ever been changed

1 hour ago, Frank DUva said:

I bought it Nov. 2022 with 39k on it. Didn't think about the timing belt until I started researching the car and its engine,  features and maintenance. It's 21 years old and the book says 70,000 miles or 6 years change the belt. I don't believe the belt has ever been changed

Hi and wow, low mileage.  I just bought a mint SC430 2014 with 105,000 miles and this has been on my mind.  If the timing belt goes, it's a big problem with these cars.  So, probably will start looking to get it done

3B6834B2-A1F9-4D50-BA6E-58FECD69A5B1.jpeg

Nice car. I have requested about 3 or 4 quotes and decided on one who has a reliable reputation for $1400. Seems a bit high but they do replace water pump, tensioner, timing and serpentine belt. Can't do much driving now anyways, its snowing here in MI.

It's your car, if you like those hub cap looking wheels, who cares what others think?

Timing belt jobs on Yota engines are expensive. It takes even the most experienced mechanic several hours. Figuring $150-$200 and hour labor rate ($180/hr where I live) it doesn't take long to reach $1000+ but a new engine will cost a lot more than that if that 20 year old belt shreds. 

Hi, I wanted the stock wheels.  It’s s stock car in mint shape.  I have got quotes for the timing belt ranging from $1200 to $2500 (Lexus dealer).  Like you, I am going to have it done.  I just not worth blowing an engine.

I just checked my papers. Done at 90,000 miles. 2003 SC430. Complete timing belt kit and labor 2 years ago 13xx. With oil change. So with inflation I would expect it to be 14xx now.

• 2 weeks later...

having just purchased an 02 with 60k on the clock, i looked at numerous ads before my purchase. from what i saw on the "car fax" info and as set forth on the service schedule, a timing belt appears to be part of the 90,000 mile service.

17 minutes ago, calmone said:

having just purchased an 02 with 60k on the clock, i looked at numerous ads before my purchase. from what i saw on the "car fax" info and as set forth on the service schedule, a timing belt appears to be part of the 90,000 mile service.

Or time. 6/7 years and should be changed.

Yes, the age, as Paul pointed out, is why I'm going to invest in a new timing belt kit installation. The owner's manual recommends replacing after 70,000 mi. or 6 years.

• 1 month later...

I just had the timing belt changed, a first for the car and the mechanic suggested replacing the accessory belt also since it's the same age. A very reputable place, so I had them do a thorough check-up, and they found the left tie rod worn and the right was showing significant wear, so they replaced them and did a 4 wheel alignment. All said and done it totaled $1950.   I finally drove it with the top down today, 54 degrees here in Michigan, to see how the wind buffeting was controlled, and how the auto heat and auto sound adjustment worked. Driving at 45 mph through Hines Dr. parkway near me, the wind buffeting was very minimal, and the heat did kick up a little, through the low mounted lap vents, as they call them. The stereo was hard to tell because I don't have the antenna properly installed. It was noticeably fading in and out. I have a new one I need to install for the auto feature to work. Will try a CD next time, or a cassette...lol. I'll be driving it in comfort this summer with peace of mind, and some old time R & R, a little alt. also

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 2:10 PM, Frank DUva said:

I just had the timing belt changed, a first for the car and the mechanic suggested replacing the accessory belt also since it's the same age. A very reputable place, so I had them do a thorough check-up, and they found the left tie rod worn and the right was showing significant wear, so they replaced them and did a 4 wheel alignment. All said and done it totaled $1950.   I finally drove it with the top down today, 54 degrees here in Michigan, to see how the wind buffeting was controlled, and how the auto heat and auto sound adjustment worked. Driving at 45 mph through Hines Dr. parkway near me, the wind buffeting was very minimal, and the heat did kick up a little, through the low mounted lap vents, as they call them. The stereo was hard to tell because I don't have the antenna properly installed. It was noticeably fading in and out. I have a new one I need to install for the auto feature to work. Will try a CD next time, or a cassette...lol. I'll be driving it in comfort this summer with peace of mind, and some old time R & R, a little alt. also

Frank beware the speakers will start to fail. If you're an Audiophile person you will be upgrading deck and speakers. 

I replaced the deck with a Pioneer with all the current features. Then did Hertz speakers in all the car with the exception of the sub. I went with Audiofrog sub because they made one that fit in the exact factory location. Then did separate amps for them, that are mounted in the trunk but can't be seen.

The sound is 5x better than factory Loud and clear top up or top down.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2023 at 10:08 PM, FishDad said:

Hi and wow, low mileage.  I just bought a mint SC430 2014 with 105,000 miles and this has been on my mind.  If the timing belt goes, it's a big problem with these cars.  So, probably will start looking to get it done

3B6834B2-A1F9-4D50-BA6E-58FECD69A5B1.jpeg

Just picked up this one below. 2004 with 45K. Seems really nice.

B77C9075-E287-477B-85F1-BA076CC08C2F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

About to buy a 2002, silver and ecru, 68k miles, from a mom and pop place that also services high-end cars.  Shop owners, before putting car on market,  immediately replaced timing belt, tensioner, water pump and accessory belt based on age of car.  Also tires because of dry rot.

45 minutes ago, Hotspur said:

About to buy a 2002, silver and ecru, 68k miles, from a mom and pop place that also services high-end cars.  Shop owners, before putting car on market,  immediately replaced timing belt, tensioner, water pump and accessory belt based on age of car.  Also tires because of dry rot.

If the tires are dry rot, expect the speaker foam to start failing also. That's what I found. You can rebuild them or move on from them.

I moved onto Hertz components for all the car with the exception of the Sub. I didn't want any cutting of anything so I went with Audiofrog Sub. It's 8" and fits in factory location.

I did have to add amps to drive it all, but again totally unseen to the nakid eye.

Nice car, I also have a 2002 and had the timing belt kit installed. And I also had to pull the passengers door 6x9 speaker and subwoofer and repaired them with the Simply Speakers kit for this car. Now it sounds as good as all the hype for the Mark Levinson quality. The subwoofer makes all the difference in the total sound quality. Just make sure you work the cone up and down while the foam is drying on the frame so it doesn't rub against the coil tube. I learned the hard way and had to do it twice, well worth it.

• 2 months later...

New guy here, just bought a 2004 last weekend, only 57,000 on it. Due to time on the belt I have an appointment to do the TB & WB on Monday, Figured I'd get it out of the way.IMG_0523.thumb.JPG.fcde7dbd222a53dfb1693616df9a98b0.JPG