Getting Ready For My Timing Belt Job!

BTW, instructions say "the airbag system will be disabled if the battery is disconnected for more than a brief period"

How long a period would that be?

Fred

Fred that could just mean that the airbags, like all other electrical functions in the car, will not work if there is no power to them. (similar to a dead battery).

I replaced my starter and battery in my '95 last year. I had to deal with a minor emergency right after I bolted the starter back in place, and the car didn't have any juice for about six hours until ai was able to get back and connect all of the wiring. Everything (including the airbags) came back up fine when I re-connected the battery.

While you are in there, are you going to do the water pump? You may as well since you'll already have the labor in it at that point and the pump is easily accessible while you've got everything apart for the timing belt. I think the average lifespan of a water pump is in the neighborhood of 150K. The timing belt is every 90K. Your next belt replacement will be at 180K and the water pump could go before then.

I have a 95 ES300 with about 112000 miles. I have not changed the timing belt. I have to get it done very soon. can you guys give me idea of what I should pay at a non lexus dealer.

Thanks in advance,

Why do it at a non lexus dealer? My dealers are all $225 for a new belt and $200 for water pump.

So at the least it is $225. Cheap for me. But then again a belt is like $40

I just got off the phone with my local lexus dealer. He quoted me a price of $455.00 to do the belt and a total of $900.00 to do the belt and water pump!! He told me that you only save about $150.00 labor changing the waterpump when having the belt replaced. I called back to make sure that I understood what he said and he replied that $900.00 was the going price.. I called a toyota dealer the price fellto $619.00 then called two different independent shops and the price fell to about $500.00 Everyone that I talked to said it was only about $180 more to do the water pump while doing the belt. The dealer wanted$445 to do the pump. I get so tired of getting the shaft when dealing with a dealer

I get so tired of getting the shaft when dealing with a dealer

I wholeheartedly agree. My stealership took great care of me under warranty and when I brought it in for oil changes, etc. But once I was out of warranty...

I will never go back to the stealership for servicv again. I don't mind the attempted upselling of services as I usually don't buy into it, but when they tell me I have a $700 oil leak that does not exist then I wonder about how honest they really are.

Some dealers are assess and others are like a dream.

It is maybe 20 minutes more to change the water pump when doing the belt as it is right their jsut a few more bolts and a little more fluid to drain ,

Btw change your thermostat while you are at it.

Thanks for all the info! Totally appreciated, I'm doing the job this weekend. More Questions/Comments:

- Is the thermostat something I can do some other time? Or does the timing belt have to come off for that too?

- I was quoted a ton to do this work, which is why I'm doing it myself. I'll probably save about $1000. (I'm in an expensive part of the world, SF, we have the highest prices next to downtown NYC)

Ok, so I'm doing timing belt, power steering pump and water pump. Have all the parts (including belts), all ready to go. Now, some more questions:

- manual says to replace timing chain cover gaskets -- is that really necessary?

- What sealer do I use on the waterpump gasket (metal with rubber bead) -- anything? or nothing?

- I'm going to assume I'm ok undoing the battery for 6 hours unless I hear otherwise.

- Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Fred

- Is the thermostat something I can do some other time? Or does the timing belt have to come off for that too?

It doesn't have to be changed at this time....but it's easier. NO, the timing belt does not have to be removed to change the thermostat.

- manual says to replace timing chain(you mean belt), cover gaskets -- is that really necessary?

NO, it's not necessary....but it's cheap enough that I would replace it.

- What sealer do I use on the waterpump gasket (metal with rubber bead) -- anything? or nothing?

Don't use any type sealer on this gasket.

- I'm going to assume I'm ok undoing the battery for 6 hours unless I hear otherwise.

I've had no problems after re-attaching the battery for long periods of time, except for resetting the radio stations and the clock.

My 97 es300 just turned 120k miles. I am pretty sure the timing belt was changed at the 60k mile service and I thought it was due again now at 120k. Is the timing belt good for more than 60k miles? I will be shopping around as my dealer wants about $1300 for the 60k mile service plus wants to change the valve cover gaskets and the p/s pump even tho I see no oil leaks of any kind and p/s works fine.

My 97 es300 just turned 120k miles. I am pretty sure the timing belt was changed at the 60k mile service and I thought it was due again now at 120k. Is the timing belt good for more than 60k miles? I will be shopping around as my dealer wants about $1300 for the 60k mile service plus wants to change the valve cover gaskets and the p/s pump even tho I see no oil leaks of any kind and p/s works fine.

I don't know about the '97 since the engine is different, but the '94-'96 is 90K miles between Timing Belt changes.

Are you sure that it was changed at 60K? If there is even a shade of doubt then I would go ahead and take care of it just for piece of mind.

As to the stealership pricing - I would look elsewhere. The last time I brought my car to the local stealer they told me that I needed a $700 rear main seal gasket job when I was not leaking a drop of oil. That was 2 years ago and I have not had any leaks to date (I check the driveway religiously.)

Personally I would take my car somewhere else if I were you since you obvoiusly can't rely on them to provide you with an honest diagnosis.

If you drive pretty easy miles, say highway/freeway, then 60k miles is nothing for a timing belt. They can easily go 100k miles -- BUT, you don't want to tempt fate either. 90k is about right for careful driving.

If you use your es300 as a taxi cab in NYC, then you'll want to change it out at 60k.

I'm not surprised by the prices you were quoted, that's about what I was quoted. Which is why I'm doing the work myself. Timing belt, ps pump and water pump, total cost should be under $500 for all the parts. Dealer wanted around the $1500 area as you noted.

BTW, valve cover gaskets and ps pump are typical "flaws" for es-300. My ps pump is making noise and leaking oil, so it's a slam dunk.

Fred

Why do it at a non lexus dealer? My dealers are all $225 for a new belt and $200 for water pump.

Which dealerships are those? I'll be giving them a call :)

• 5 months later...

Which dealerships are those? I'll be giving them a call :)

Prices went up from last year. When I had my car in 1-year ago she wrote those number down.

Well I called around (3) Lexus dealers and boy, the prices for the SAME thing are a joke.

Herb Chambers (MA): (Water pump & Timing Belt): $850.00 plus tax

Hoffman (CT); Timing Belt $500, and Water pump is $200: $700

Balise (MA): Timing belt $399.95, Water pump $212.50: $616.50