Changing Trunk Lifts

Zigzag

FYI... Going through the trunk is the only way to go. First -remove all the trunk floor trim, next -the trim across the back of the seat, exposing the fuel tank. The ball post on the lid arm is Locktited, use a heat gun to loosen it ,otherwise a wrench will strip it- it's very, very tight. I wound up using vise gripes instead of a wrench. The other end has two clips(upper and lower) holding it onto the post, these must be bent out of the way. To install the new lift, the bumpers on each arm must be moved out of the way and the lid raised up as far as possible to make the final connections. Good Luck to all that try it.

also make shure u got the right ones, they need to have the bolts on the ends, all the ones i have bought are the right size but they dont have the bolts on the end to match. you might have to cut off the old ones. good luck. make shure u have something holding up ur trunk.

ahhh i guess it was a good thing i didnt try it. looked annoying. So i guess u gotta get them from lexus only that come with the bolts on already. thats a quick 130 bucks down the drain.

I on the other hand just moved the rubber support between the bars alittle more front, this allows the trunk to open slightly higher that way it doesnt fall, its a neat trick and the trunk doesnt clunk on my head everytime.

My 95 SC400 had worn out struts. When it came time to change the strut, I just ordered the ones that will support the spoiler. You can get the part from Lexus, but get ready for some serious dough ($$).

Through the forums I saw everyone was replacing there struts using rockauto.com. www.rockauto.com.

At the rockauto.com website search for you car and look under Body Exterior / Lift-Support

For $19 bucks, I opted for the AC/Delco #510129. (I know, I know, GM part on a Lexus car).

30 minutes (because I am slow) of install time and it damn near opens itself. (The whole back of the trunk is just held in with little clips. Pull it out and you will see the struts to replace.)