Disconnecting Battery -what Do I Do

stkrmtr

Make sure you do know your radio code-or Lexus will be happy to charge you to "read your code"-after you completed the work, and found your radio/cd is inoperative. I bought a tool that keeps the computer and the radio in sync when the power is disabled. For example, I went to change my distributors and rotors, and the first thing the instructions tell you is to-disconnect the battery. So you can lose the radio very easily.

The tool that keeps the radio alive cost me 10 bucks at Autozone. Which is equal to about 5 minutes in a Lexus dealer repair shop. Not including the break for coffee?

It's a simple tool. It's simply a plug in connection to the lighter outlet, that also connects to the positive and negative poles on the battery. Before you disconnect the battery, you carefully connect 2 clamps to the battery after plugging into the lighter outlet. Then remove the battery, keeping it connected at all times.

The nice thing is that, while avoiding having to take your car to the thieving Lexus dealer for their ransom, you also can listen to the radio-or cassette-or cd-while working on the car. You can actually make this connection without buying anything special-the key is that you want to maintain 12V electrical current to the computer at all times. It sure works for me.

I forget what the part is called-For 10 bucks at Autozone, it's a bargain. Avoid EBay-too expensive.

I'm quite happy that I do not live in texas .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... and ???????????????????????????????????? OH BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have disconnected my battery several times and never had a problem with the radio not resetting itself. Whats up. Once someone told me that the air bag might disengage with you disconnect the battery. Is there any truth to this??

Ferd