My 93 Ls400 Ocassionally Just Stalls...

bstrope

Hi all!

I have a 1993 LS400 that drives and runs beautifully.....but on rare occasions, it will stall and I have to stop...put it in park and restart. It always restarts with no trouble, but I'm concerned that it may be indicative of a larger problem. It has happened maybe three times in the last month...always at low speeds...probably 10mph or less. Usually seems to happen when I'm slowing down to make a slow speed corner. Any suggestions?!?

Regards,

Bryan

Post Falls, ID

can you tell us a little bit more about the car

miles?

last tune up?

maintenence history? (problems?)

gas mileage ie.. (normal/poor)

does the car just die with no warning? ie....does it stutter first, or give any kind of indication its about to die?

at what rpm does your car idle?? is the idle rough? does it seem to "surge" or cut in and out at idle at all?

Dump a $10 bottle of Valvoline Complete Fuel Sytem Cleaner in the gas tank. This pronlem usually indicated a carbon buildup on the throttle body. You might need to clean it. If you do get in touch with Curt Oberg (Obergc), he made a presentaiuon on how to do the job. In fact have a copy, send me your email and I'll forward it to you if you want. I don't think you have any big problem, but it will get worse IF it is what I think. Sooner or later it won't idle at all.

Hi guys....

My 93 LS400 has 193,000 miles. Last tune up was approx 2800 miles ago. (previous owner is a very close friend and owns a helicopter charter business....he's pretty ANAL about maintenance. ;) )

Maintenance history is clean with replacement of normal wear and tear items only.

Gas mileage seems to be pretty normal....we're seeing about 17 mpg in the city and between 23-25 mpg on long trips.

Car idles about 800 rpm....very smooth and "Lexus-like".

The problem stalling happens without any warning....usually 15 mph or less. Also, I've noticed that it seems to happen after I've slowed down to make a corner.

Other than this one intermittent problem...the car drives like a dream.

Regards,

Bryan

Post Falls, ID