Some Advise Needed, Thx...

I have an opportunity to buy a 95 SC400 with 80K miles, salvage title, airbags deployed for $5K. I have an Audi as my maintanace hog, so I'm not really looking for another. I currently have a '94 ES300 with 170K on the clock and could probably sell that for $3-4K. My problem is I know the ES is healthy and can go for another 100K, but I don't know the reliability of the SC, this one in particular. It has a couple of problems, the when you press AUTO on the A/C it does not turn on the A/C, blows regular air out, but when you turn it to COLD it blows very cold air out. Also, I think the power steering is out because you have to really put some muscle into turning the car. My guy says he will fix that problem before he sells it to me though. Finally, I have a question, can I get replacement airbags and the covers of both the drivers and passenger airbag covers? Thanks for the advice.

I have an opportunity to buy a 95 SC400 with 80K miles, salvage title, airbags deployed for $5K.  I have an Audi as my maintanace hog, so I'm not really looking for another.  I currently have a '94 ES300 with 170K on the clock and could probably sell that for $3-4K.  My problem is I know the ES is healthy and can go for another 100K, but I don't know the reliability of the SC, this one in particular.  It has a couple of problems, the when you press AUTO on the A/C it does not turn on the A/C, blows regular air out, but when you turn it to COLD it blows very cold air out.  Also, I think the power steering is out because you have to really put some muscle into turning the car.  My guy says he will fix that problem before he sells it to me though.  Finally, I have a question, can I get replacement airbags and the covers of both the drivers and passenger airbag covers?  Thanks for the advice.

Since I don't own an ES, I can't really compare maintenance costs, but I can tell you that if you need dealer-only work, the Toyota dealerships around here are clueless when it comes to "Soarer," but obviously well versed in "Camry." Just from a production number standpoint, I'd say that the ES is going to be cheaper, but I wouldn't say that the SC is a maintenance hog, but it isn't a Camry, either. IMHO, it's an "Apples to Oranges" comparison anyway. One is a high-performance luxury coupe, while the other is pretty much a warmed up FWD grocery-getter. Personally, I wouldn't buy a salvage title car, especially not a Lexus. Maintenance and TLC from a previous owner's standpoint means too much for me, since any major problem + fixing the known issues could cost you the difference between a salvage title SC and a legit car with service history. From looking at a fair number of salvage title cars, I can tell you that most were never fixed properly enough to be safe, not to mention the inevitable issues such as water leaks, messed up wiring, and poor fitting body panels. I'm guessing that those bags are going to cost you $1500-2k alone.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that you can not compare the ES300 & the SC400. In my mind one is a real Lexus and the other is a cosmetically jazzed-up Camry. The ES300 is mechanically identical to a v6 option Camry. You can smoothly cruise at 145 mph is an SC, but I wouldnt feel safe in an ES over 90mph. They just wanted to produce a more affordable "Lexus" for people unable to afford the real deal. Porsche did that bull*BLEEP* with the 914 & 924. Those cars are jokes and so is the ES300. It's a dependable daily driver and little else.

Sounds like your prospective SC could be a problem. With a salvage title and airbags deployed, I would look for another one. AS far as trusting an SC3 or 4 for the long haul. No problem. As long as it is taken care of. At higher mileage, there are always issues to take care of. But the cars last better than any other I know of.