2010 Lexus LS 460 Problems

Bob Crosby

I am about to view and possibly purchase a pre-owned 2010 LS 460 with 132k miles.  Online videos indicate some expensive repair issues on 2007-10 LS's (air suspension, brake actuator, oil leaks and control arms).  I have read 2007 was the worst year, but some of these issues were corrected by 2010.  Has anyone in the Forum experienced these problems in there 2010?  Must they be done at a Lexus dealerships using OEM parts (vs. an independent repair shop).  What type of expense am I looking at?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Bob

In the 2016 Consumer Reports Buying Guide, the 2010 LS was rated "Much better than average", overall. The only trouble spot is the suspension category, which may include:
Shocks or struts
Ball joints, tie rods, wheel bearings
Alignment, steering linkage
Wheel balance, springs, or torsion bars
Bushings, electronic or air suspension.

I would suggest having a well-respected alignment shop take a look before you make a buying decision.

Thank you.  My research indicates there are 4 expensive repair issues:

1.  Air suspension

2. Control arms

3. Brake actuator

4.  Oil leaks

The owner is sending me the Carfax.  He says it was regularly maintained by the local Lexus dealership.  I will only be serious if the Carfax indicates it is worth pursuing.

Again, thank your for your recommendation.

There could be a lot of potential problems with this car. 

1. The engine may be worn out with that mileage. This means you'll start burning oil. But this could depend on how often the oil changes were done. 

2. Suspension parts arn't that bad or expensive to replace. AIR suspension however could be very costly. 

3. Gasket leaks. If the PCV valve wasn't changed often, this could cause oil leaks in the valve cover gasket. To change this gasket is alot of work. 

If I purchase that car, the decision would be based on an good price, immaculate body and interior condition. The engine and the suspension parts can all be swapped out and you'll have a reliable vehicle. 

Purchasing a car with that mileage and that year means you'll have to have a decent level of mechanic competency, otherwise it could get very costly. 

Tommy, thank you for your response.  Based on my own research and your comments, I have decided not to purchase the LS.  While its condition appears excellent, the 132k miles is concerning.  The dealer Carfax shows regular Lexus servicing, but the expensive issues I have uncovered by researching online have to be considered.  Granted, the car will likely drive 250k miles, but only after the pricey upgrades have been made.  Again, thank you for your insight.  Much appreciated.   Bob   

• 9 months later...

Hi, Ric from Ocean Springs from MS. I am new to this form.

I have a 2010 LX460 with 190K on it. It runs great. and my touchscreen has stopped working and is locked in AC mode. When I start the car, with my climate control screen in view. The fan moves on its own from the low position to the high. Then stays stuck in this mode? 

1st) My dealer stated that I need a new screen and computer. To to total tune of $3,200

2nd) Is this worth replacing? If yes, where can I pick up the parts for this repair?

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers, Richard