Repair Rip Off?

patricia

I have a 1995 LS 400 with 170k on it. Bought the car used 2 1/2 years ago with 60k. As expected I am now having repairs pop up. I am planning on selling this car and buying the same car just newer with less miles, obvioulsy I have a nasty commute! But I LOVE this car.

I recently had the check engine light come on and had a dealer scope the car. I was told it needed 2 catalytic converters (3000$). I scoped it at two other shops to be sure, all said same thing. A shop recomended to me told me it "didn't sound right" that I needed both converters, so I took the car too them. They do Lexus and other Luxury cars but are not a dealer. They found (or so they say) a hole in the EGR pipe. I had them repair this (1000$), but did not ask to see the damaged part. 3 weeks after the repair the light came back on and I had it scoped again at the dealer. This time I was told it needs one cat converter, the right one (as well as a power stearing pump, a new oil pan and dipstick o-ring, UGH!). I am concerned that I was ripped off by the shop who did the EGR pipe. Anyone have any experience with these parts and issues?

Also, I had my front brakes done last week at a local shop. I did not know about the brake repair 'sensors', other than the light alerting me to my brake needs came on. It is still on and the dealers parts dept. said when I called today I would need to replace them for the light to go off. They also said the gravely sound I am hearing, that I assumed would go away when the pads wore in a bit, may not go away because I used after market parts. The light I cannot do anyting about, I will replace the sensor, but do I need to redo the brake pads too?

Thanks in advance, Patricia

Well, you average over 40,000 miles a year driving - you need a comfortable ride for sure!!!

I wonder if the shop didn't clip the brake sensor back on properly...?? There is only one sensore on the Right Wheel. As for the squeal, they may have left off one of the two "anti-squeal shims" or brake grease.

I have heard of others saying the squealing does happen without Genuine Toyota parts....I'd take it back to the shop if it doesn't stop squealing in a week, make them fix it if possible.

EGR - will wait for others to chime in on this............

your car is obd2 right? im assuming it is and obd2 only illuminates the CIL if its emissions related..so the power steering pump, oil pan and dipstick were not required repairs to turn off CIL. if your car happens to be obd1 then illuminated light would indicate a something that may cause a driveability problem...obd1 does not detect emissions related problems. egr pipe would fall under emissions related component.

Patricia,

You can go to an Autozone and they'll read the codes for you, since the check engine light is on. It's free. Write em down and let us know.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money yet. The car should run fine as is.....

I'd also suggest telling us where you live. Someone may be able to suggest a reputable independent shop in your area to help you out. Or even better, another member could accompany you to the independent shop and help you out.

just my .02 cents.

Joe

Thanks for the replies.

Joe asked where I am, I am in Seattle Washington.

92 LEX asked if my car is 'obd2', unfortunately I have no idea what this means so I can't answer and would like to, more info please?

The quote for the cat converters is from the parts dept. of the local Lexus dealers (I called 3, they all give the same price-1300$ each and 400$ for labor),

I may try calling other parts of the country, I can have something mailed if it's cheaper I suppose.

99LS guy mentioned that there is only one brake sensor on the front, on the right wheel. The Lexus dealers parts dept. told me there was one per wheel and that it is "destroyed" when it is activated and must be replaced? You said something about it possibly being forgotten to be clipped back on? The light was on before the brake job was done.

The noise from the brakes is not a squeal (thank goodness, used to get that with my Hondas!) but a metallic grind. The dealer said it was because it was not a Lexus part, my question is, is the Lexus pad just a rubber pad and the one's the local non Lexus shop used are the better metallic pads which have ground a bit at first on every other car I have ever put them on?

Has anyone had an experience where after market pads put on a Lexus made a metalic noise and it did or did not go away over time?

Other than these issues the car drives just as nice now as it did with 60k on it when I bought it.

It blows my mind that the most I could get if I wanted to sell it is about 9k. There's nothing out there at 9k that comes close to this car for a comfortable quiet and stylish ride.

I now know what all the fuss is about and am spoiled for life.

Just like red wine, the more you learn about quality the more you end up spending, but then life is too short for bad wine or lousy cars, Cheers, Pat

Park Place Lex has the cat's for ~$870--free shipping and no tax for out of staters. Here's the link: https://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...995&catalogid=1 . Tis the season for cat problems :lol: ...that's 3 of us so far(you, me, and Jacob)!

OBDII(onboard diagnostics) is the version of diagnostic codes your car has which are the later, greater diagnostic codes. AutoZone will read the check engine light for free. Your probably looking at P0420 or/and P0430 for the check engine code (this code is for a faulty cat and/or o2 sensor).

Leaky power steering pumps are a dime a dozen on the LS! There are a few things mentioned on LOC you can try before replacing the pump. Your oil pan is probably seeping a little around the seal, and as long as you aren't adding oil to the engine every x amount of miles, it's nothing to loose sleep about.

:cheers:

Pat,

There is also a sensor on the RRear caliper too. Unless they changed something, there is only one sensor per axle (f / r).

Others have had good luck with ceramic pads.... I think..but I'd use toyota/lexus brand.

The factory original pads are toyota make and the set for both front brakes cost about $60 @ dealer. Because your car is 9+ years old, your rotors are probably worn/warped. The rotors are the thick metal "pancake" that the pads squeeze against to stop car. These can wear little grooves in them over time, so if they're worn enough, its best to get them 1) "turned" or smoothed out with metal lathe machine or 2) just get whole new rotors. This could very well be causing the "grinding". You can live without the sensor being fixed.

I think the dealer is misleading you about the sensor. If you got it serviced soon after the light came on - it would still be okay. It's made to alert you BEFORE your pads (and sensor) get completed worn out / damaged!! So, they probably ruined it or threw it away or......that's what I think!

New rotors are about $110 each I think....that's what I'd do..Then your good to go for another 100k... Labor to put on is minimal...$100 I'd say....

Lexusparts.com is a source. See what an independent shop that specializes in Lexus would charge to put them on (also get price for rotor to check -save the hassle)

follow the advice and get those codes out at autozone, then post em there and we will tell what exactly is wrong and if you have been ripped off. while ure at autozone you can ask them to remove front wheel s for you so you and them can check if there is a wire going to the brake pad.

when you hear metalllic grind it means that your pad is worn to the metal and you should check if they really replaced pads for you. the brake pad light staying on also suggests that your pads were either not replaced or they were installed incorrectly.

• 2 weeks later...