Transmission - Transfer Case Failure

MIKE6334

The transfer case on my RX 300 (106 K miles) is making a whining noise on deceleration. The problem has been diagnosed by the dealer as transfer case and transmission failure. I have owned the car since new and have had the dealer perform all major services for the life of the car. Estimated cost to fix this problem is $7,000! I have also discovered two other parties who have experienced the same problem. Lexus customer satisfaction has been little help. Anyone else been down this path?

Signed,

Extremely disappointed in Lexus :censored:

In early morning, especially in cold weather, my transmission ('99 RX300) whines at lower gears while accelerating. I complained it to my dealer and requested a diagnosis under warranty. Their response was "They all do that." and charged me $60 since no fault was found. It has been "whining" for two years now. After reading numerous complains about engine sludge and transmission failure both from here and from some other sites, I found the powertrain on early edition of RX300 was indeed disappointing. I like the way RX300 handles; but at 75,000 miles, I'm on the crossroad whether to keep it or to let go. I hope there are more members whose RX300 have exceeded 100,000 miles will come forward and share their experience.