Navigation Updates

I'm brand new here, I have a quick question.

I just purchased a 99 GS 400 in Diamond White that only had 10,000 miles on it. I got it for 28 k. The car is such a nice ride and definitely turns heads(and then blows right pass them.)

The only problem I have is the maps for navigation are way out of date. So I have a couple of questions with regards to this.

1. What needs to be in order to update them? (the process etc.)

2. What is the approximate cost to do this?

If anyone has done this please let me know.

Thanks!!!

The 99, like my 2000, has a hard drive system instead of the current DVD system.

Lexus says the new update is $850 plus installation. Somewhere on this site someone quoted a price of $280, but I have never been able to find the Web site where the purchase can be made.

The hard drive I have works well around major areas, but is really bad here in eastern NC. The area around my town is almost blank... of course the town is, too.

Good luck finding what you need. Let me know if you find a great price. ;)

I remember calling the Lexus 800 number and talking to the guy. He said $250 for a new hard disk with the updated data on it. It comes out in Sept or Oct of every year. I may do it this fall and get the 2004 data.

Problem is you can't order it from the 800 number, you need to get it from the local Lexus parts dealer or online and they all set thier own prices. With a swing of $850 to $250, we need to start comparing dealers. Also need to find when the 2004/2005 disk is coming out.

Thanks for the information.

My house is relatively new and does not show up. Neither does work. I guess I'll have to take mine in to find out the real price of the updates. Although $850 sounds a little ridiculous. I can do without updates then. $250 is a little easier to swallow.

I'll post when I find out. Although if anyone has done this already, please let us know.

Thanks!!

Just found my notes from that phone call to Lexus on 1/29/04:

New hard disk part number is PT219-F3X99-CPX

$260 MSRP

Next Update is October 2004

I know it is located in the trunk on the passenger side. I haven't checked to see how easy it is to R&R, but I will....

Sorry that i have no good info for you but i just purchased a 2001 GS300 and was looking to put some sort of navigation system into it since i travel around a lot. I know almost next to nothing about these except that they have some real nice pioneer ones that flip up and are touch screen. Those seem to run around 1300 on ebay.... Does any have any suggesetions for navigation system? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a GS400, the navigation has been updated once, I have the Sep 01 version. I have found cities missing that should be in the database. Latest example is Tulsa, OK.

Questions: Is anyone aware of problems with this particular update?

Has anyone had problems like this with the navigation? Also, has anyone tried the hard disc replacement themselves?