Burnt Speedometer Light

The past few months I noticed that the red LED speedometer needle was flickering. A few days ago, it completely burnt out. I researched this a bit online. If I took it to the dealer, they would have to replace the entire instrument gauges.. That rounds up to about $900.

$900 for some burnt out needles? I don't think so. Does anyone else have a similar problem or a solution? Thanks.

• 1 year later...

The past few months I noticed that the red LED speedometer needle was flickering. A few days ago, it completely burnt out. I researched this a bit online. If I took it to the dealer, they would have to replace the entire instrument gauges.. That rounds up to about $900.

$900 for some burnt out needles? I don't think so. Does anyone else have a similar problem or a solution? Thanks.

Hello This is Lynn in Wisconsin.

I have a 94 ES300 that has the same problem. I bought mine as a certified Lexus but did not do anything about the flickering, dumb move. But anyway I found a article on this site that says the problem is with a few capacitors on the board. I have not been able to find it again. I was quoted $ 1000.00 for the instrument cluster but the thread plus a picture of what to change was like $ 30.00 unless you want to send it out and it will cost you $ 150.00. I am very new to this site. I wish I could find this information. I think it was capacitor C-16. There was a picture but I can not find it anymore. It takes less than 15 minutes to remove the intrument cluster once you find the four hidden screws, which my mechanic did in 10. I thought you had to tear the dash apart.

Take Care and good luck

Lynn

If you are looking for a low cost fix for burnt out needles check out this solution.

It's a DIY job and you won't end up with a cluster that looks exactly the way it did before the needles died, but it only costs a few dollars for the parts, takes a few hours to do, and IMHO, the results are far better than no illuminated needles at all. Instead of the whole length of the needles being lit up, the tips are lit, and afterall, the tips are the only part of the needles that you really need lit to properly read your gauges.

Hope this helps.