Nits Or Service Issues

jpf5911

I took delivery of a 2001 LS430 about two weeks ago. It is my first Lexus (after two Q45s over ten years) and the service/quality reputation was a significant aspect of my decision. The car has about 50k on it, but came "Certified Pre-Owned" with the corresponding extended warranty.

After just a few days of driving, I identified four things that should easily have been identified and fixed in the "188 point inspection" that each CPO vehicle supposedly has. I took the unit in and they had it for two days but had to order parts. I took it in again after the parts arrived, but some of the parts were wrong. Three days this time (over the weekend).

Here is my point. The car is great and the service staff have been courteous and professional. The dealer will fix the few problems and it won't cost me anything because of the warranty. BUT, where was the pre-delivery inspection??? What about the inconvenience to me for bringing it in twice after the purchase? The sales staff made a HUGE deal out of the soon to come survey regarding my overall satisfaction. How do they expect me to respond?

I'm thinking of calling the salesperson and demanding a free Lexus hat and thermal coffee mug from their "boutique" to ease my suffering.

Comments?

Pre-delivery inspection.......?

Your're kidding, right?

Why would the dealer waste such valuable time when the buyer is willing to do the inspection for them. I'd bet that if you had the list and did the inspection yourself you'd find about 10% of the item not up to snuff.

Here are the four problems:

1. Windshield rain sensor falls off windshield.

2. Upper portion of center storage console opens only with great difficulty.

3. Steering column makes loud grinding noise when retracting after the car is turned off.

4. Trunk lid air struts don't support trunk lid.

I think even a cursory pre-delivery inspection would have identified and fixed these items.

The question is, should I push them to do something for my time and trouble?

They are all obsessed with the customer satisfaction survey, so until I get the survey I have some leverage, right?

JPF

Here are the four problems:

1.  Windshield rain sensor falls off windshield. 

2.  Upper portion of center storage console opens only with great difficulty.

3.  Steering column makes loud grinding noise when retracting after the car is turned off.

4.  Trunk lid air struts don't support trunk lid.

I think even a cursory pre-delivery inspection would have identified and fixed these items.

Those are all pretty serious on a CPO car(especially a trunk that doesn't stay open)! Does anybody have a list of what is inspected on the CPO's?? That'll show exactly what kind of leverage you have.Personally, if the dealer treated you well and gave you a loaner, I'd probably let it slide, but if they are rude and snobby like my dealer, I'd start talking to managers, and if that fails, call Lexus HQ to file a complaint. You probably could talk them into some kind of compensation for your inconvience. I'd push the trunk issue since that's even obvious to a chimpanze much less a Lexus tech! :lol: