Alternator - Service And Repair

Anyone have advice on alternator repair, service, installation, etc.? - recently laid off so funds are scarce. Dare I try to install one myself with little or no mechanic experience? Otherwise, please advise. I live in Orange County California.

Thanks!

Ok. Better than going to the dealer, I assume? Also, what's your opinion on online auto parts dealers? I found a rebulit alternator for under $200. They mention cost for Core, however. Is it necessary to replace the core as well?

Thanks for responding. :-)

Keep your original alt. Find a rebuild shop & have them repair it. The factory alt. is superior to the after market rebuilds at Napa, Autozone, etc. Core means you trade your alt. for theirs plus the price, your old one is the "core."

Item Number: BJ044543

Main Category: LEXUS

Ok. That's good to know. Just FYI, here is the info I got from an online website.

Bosch is mentioned often. I'm assuming that Lexus purchases alternators wholesale for an orignial part. Anyone know who they use?

Sub Category:

Qualifier: SC300 1992 - 1995

Description: Alternator, Rebuilt

92-12/93

(100Amp.)

Manufacturer: BOSCH

List Price:

Your Price:$ 157.76

Core Price: $111.00

Weight: 14.970

Per Car Qty: 1

Quantity Available: 1