Replace Check Engine Light

hello gentlemen,

coming back from toyota dealer. here is my previous post about the issues i am having with my sc400

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...hl=engine+light

the mechanic suggested to start with opening up the guage cluster (is that what that's called?) and check if the bulb is burnt, or someone might even took it out before selling the car....

they want at least 1 1/2 hour of time to do that.. then they'll be able to hook the computer and get the codes. they tried already and couldnt get any codes cause the engine lights doesnt come on.

can i do it myself? anyone owns a computer thing to hook it up with? how much, where to get it?

thanks in advance.

Go to www.lexuspros.com/tutorial7htm Prior to performing this procedure lower your steering wheel, extend it toward the seat as much as possible then turn off the automatic feature. Remove your key and take off the positive battery terminal. If you don't do this first you will need to get your airbag reset and also risk accidental deployment while hanging over the steering wheel (could be very painful). I just replaced all my display bulbs and accidentially turned on the key, now I've got an airbag light all the time. Live and learn by others errors.

thanks much for the links and info 'zigzag'.

again, the way everyone talks about the ecu giving this and that codes, i am assuming some of you have a computer of your own so that you can check codes yourselves??

or is there any inexpensive place where i can take the car for a computer check up?

where did you get the replacement bulbs from? from dealer? i found a post about lighting from www.lextech.org . any suggestion? i also heard the same lex parts are much cheaper if you get it from toyota?

thanks again...

I relamped recently, there appear to be two different bulbs(a total of 35 for the entire cluster), the larger ones are #24(2watt can get anywhere)) the smaller I got from a foreign car parts place in Phila. $1 each