Abs Light On?!

I am a new member here , but a car guy at heart! I had just traded in my 1984 corvette for a 1994 Lexus ES300 and man is it great! I love my car so much that I slept in it already! My wife thinks I am nuts. I was driving from work and the ABS light came on. The car drives normal and there is no noise. What could be the problem? Is there a way that I can fix it w/o taking it to a dealer?

-Brian

Welcome to the club-

It could be a simple thing such as a disconnected wire to the wheel sensor, but it also could mean something more serious which could be checked out with a code reader. Unless you have the equipment or knowledge I'd bring it to a reliable shop or your Lexus dealer to have it looked at. ;)

When you turn on the ignition the car goes through a series of self checks, one of which is the ABS system. If the light comes on after these checks it's indicating that there is a problem. It could be anywhere in the braking system.

It could be expensive or not....... but that you will have to find out after it's checked. In the meantime, the brakes will work OK, except you won't have the ABS feature working.

The light comes on as soon as I start my car. I looked around the back of my wheels and noticed some wires going to the hub. On the one wheel, it seemed alittle loose. I am not sure and I am afraid that a dealer mechanic will take me to town, if you know what I mean!

-Brian

newbie here