Upsize Tires On 1999 Rx300

marmadmax

I have seen a few with that tire size 235/70/16. the dealership has told me that it would not be a problem. the increase in height is about .5" due to the aspect ratio. im not sure if the width increase would pose a problem if you use snow cables. wwest would know for sure.

On the factory equipped RX series rear snowchains, of any type, cannot be used due to the very tight clearance at the top inside of the tire tread and the strut.

I upgraded to 17x8 wheels and 235/65-17 Michelin cross terrains by adding 1.5 wheel spacers all around and this past winter used snowchains ONLY on the rear quite safely.

Americas Tire co ( www.tires.com) says that you can put up to 245/70/16 tires on the stock wheel. they say that there will be no rubbing and that there is enough room for snow cables. ive seen 1 rx300 with 245/70/16. the question is should you zero plus size the tires. what will you gain? personally, i like the look of the wider tire. however, when you increase the width without changing the aspect ratio, the tire will be a bit taller, and subject to more flexing from the side wall area.(actually 235/65/70 would be a good fit, but good luck finding a tire this size). this would translate to a more sloppy feel during turns. would this cancel out the improved traction from the wider footprint of the tire? I dont know. also you might expect to see a decrease in the fuel economy, though im not sure how much. also, if you plus size the tire on the stock rims, your odometer and speedometer will be off slightly. The larger tire may also put increase strain onthe breaks. so in the end, if you zero plus size your tires, from the 225 to a 235 or even 245, while the car might look better, overall performance may not be improved. i think that you are best off putting the best quality tire, size 225, that you can get. i would look at the michelin cross terrain or ltx m/s.

good luck

Americas Tire co ( www.tires.com) says that you can put up to 245/70/16 tires on the stock wheel. they say that there will be no rubbing and that there is enough room for snow cables. ive seen 1 rx300 with 245/70/16. the question is should you zero plus size the tires. what will you gain? personally, i like the look of the wider tire. however, when you increase the width without changing the aspect ratio, the tire will be a bit taller, and subject to more flexing from the side wall area.(actually 235/65/70 would be a good fit, but good luck finding a tire this size). this would translate to a more sloppy feel during turns. would this cancel out the improved traction from the wider footprint of the tire? I dont know. also you might expect to see a decrease in the fuel economy, though im not sure how much. also, if you plus size the tire on the stock rims, your odometer and speedometer will be off slightly. The larger tire may also put increase strain onthe breaks. so in the end, if you zero plus size your tires, from the 225 to a 235 or even 245, while the car might look better, overall performance may not be improved. i think that you are best off putting the best quality tire, size 225, that you can get. i would look at the michelin cross terrain or ltx m/s.

good luck

I agree with what you said. But I found Michelin Cross Terrains on sale at Tire Rack for $98 each (but only in 235/70-16). I would have liked the stock 225 size, but those were $130 each. Going up just one size shouldn't make too much of a difference in aspect ratio. A local tire shop matched the price.

And coming from the stock Duellers, I'm expecting the ride to be a bit more controlled regardless of the marginally taller tire.

-Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I have used Bridgestones Dueller H/P in this size with no problems. They're on Ronal R28 7-spoke wheels, which look wonderful.

The only concern is clearance between the tires' sidewalls and the rear struts ... its about 5 mm. But they have never rubbed.

I switched to 235/70-16 to get a summer performance tire (I use Blizzaks on the Lexus wheels during the winter) and at the time there was little choice for the stock tire size.

In summation ... you can use a 235/70-16 tire with confidence.

• 7 years later...

yes the 235 70 16 tire will fit your stock rims for your RX300. I just upsize from OEM 225 70 16 to the 235s. I bought the Michelin Cross Terrain. The tires look a it more muscular looking. In fact, I'm thinking of upsizing again to possibly 245 70 16. I will need to do some research first. You will not experience any tire rubbing for the 235 70 16.