Please Help Me Decide

Clubmembers

I own a 1993 GS300 and was thinking some engine improvements such as a supercharger or turbo. I live in northern Calif. What route should I go and who should I talk to. Thanks

personally i would go turbo on the car. there are a couple of turbo kits out there but the one that sticks out the most is fmax turbo kit.

fmax turbo kit

but if you're down for your car, get the 2jzgte engine. twinturbo is twice the fun my friend, besides, that's an o.g. engine in japan that was taken away when our cars were brought to the states.

zi96boxo.jpg

that's a toyota aristo (lexus gs300) from japan with the twinturbo supra engine. yes my friend it's stock. so i'm all for turbo.

Personally, I would just turbo the 2jz thats in it. The swap is sooo much money, and it wont even be fast with the stock supra motor. So you have to anticipate modding the GTE, which can be expensive when

using the RIGHT parts...but I dont know of another motor that yields better numbers after mods than the 2jz-GTE

Personally, I would just turbo the 2jz thats in it. The swap is sooo much money, and it wont even be fast with the stock supra motor. So you have to anticipate modding the GTE, which can be expensive when

using the RIGHT parts...but I dont know of another motor that yields better numbers after mods than the 2jz-GTE

well if he's got the cash, by all means, let him do it, but if you got the hookups, then it's all good too. but the ge and gte are two great motors. fmax the ge engine or get the gte swap. that or you can get the gte head with all components and swap it out with your ge head. it will bolt on to the block. then you don't have to worry about a total swap... but you gotta change out the tranny too, that or reinforce the valves in it.

Thanks for the info. But why is turbo the best way to go vice supercharging.

Also do you know of any engine builders in northern calif

i like turbo because i like the blowing off. very agressive sound. like i say, it's a preference thing.

Turbochargers are great for high-end power and a peaky torque curve due the the lag since the turbo needs to spool up. Because of that, the bigger the turbo, the longer the lag and the less torque you have off the line. However, the potential for overall performance and power are much higher than a supercharger due to the ability to boost 1 bar and much further beyond (1 bar = 14.5 psi).

Superchargers (except for the vortex) are belt driven and work off the pulleys in your car. Since they are mechanical, they are limited by the size of the pulleys and the engine's baseline power. Because of this they are generally limited to 10psi and below in many import applications. However, since they are motor driven, the torque is instand and provides a long linear torque curve with great power off the line for very quick launches. The downside is the potential for higher boost pressure is bleak.

Many people in the import world prefer turbocharging to supercharging due to the higher potential for power in a small package. Also, turbo lag can be counteracted by simply using a nitrous kit that triggers at wide open throttle.

Turbochargers are great for high-end power and a peaky torque curve due the the lag since the turbo needs to spool up. Because of that, the bigger the turbo, the longer the lag and the less torque you have off the line. However, the potential for overall performance and power are much higher than a supercharger due to the ability to boost 1 bar and much further beyond (1 bar = 14.5 psi).

Superchargers (except for the vortex) are belt driven and work off the pulleys in your car. Since they are mechanical, they are limited by the size of the pulleys and the engine's baseline power. Because of this they are generally limited to 10psi and below in many import applications. However, since they are motor driven, the torque is instand and provides a long linear torque curve with great power off the line for very quick launches. The downside is the potential for higher boost pressure is bleak.

Many people in the import world prefer turbocharging to supercharging due to the higher potential for power in a small package. Also, turbo lag can be counteracted by simply using a nitrous kit that triggers at wide open throttle.

that is true, but it's all up to the driver if you want to go all motor, show, or both. the lag with turbo will only bother the driver if he likes to push the car. with the turbo. i wouldn't want to bother with a supercharger... the turbo setup is good enough for me... plus you have to think of gas too. but like i said, it's simply preference.