97 Subwoofer Replacement

Has anyone attempted to change the Subwoofer in the rear deck of their ES? I have spent all weekend on this project and it was not fun. I replaced the stock speaker with an Image Dynamics Id 8 v.3 series sub and so far it hits harder and deeper than the factory one. (of course it should because it is better) To replace the speaker is a very detailed process:

1st. You need to remove the speaker cover with the 3rd lamp housing in it (careful to disconnect the the harness from the lamp)

2nd. You need to remove the 4 hex head screws that bolt the speaker to the car

3rd. You need to clip the speaker wires from the speaker. They are discretely hidden behind the sub toward the seats. (by the way the magnet from the speaker loves the cutters)

4th. You need to try to take push the holding pins that hold the rear deck cover to the body of the car. (just use a pair of pliers to push the clips in and push them through the hole.

5th. You need to take hours trying to pull the woofer through the opening in the rear deck without damaging the cover or the woofer. The woofer is part of a metal fittment that is specifically designed to fit in that hole. The metal fittment is molded in such a way that it securely fits in the divets in the rear deck and also has the holes to secure the speaker cover in place.

(There are two ways to get around this. One is easy and the other is not. The easy way is to drill 8 small holes to mount the speaker to the deck or the hard way (which is the one I chose) is to cut a square foot piece of 3/8" plywood. Using the plywood, you will have to cut an 8" hole in the middle of the plywood to fit the speaker. Then you have to take the old speaker and trace the molded design on the plywood and use a skil saw to cut the design exactly as the fittment for the old subwoofer is.

6th you will have to drill the 4 mounting holes in the plywood molding you created and 8 mounting holes using 1/2" flat head screws for the subwoofer. Attach the subwoofer in the molding and place it in the rear deck. It should fit flush against the body of the car. If it doesn't fit, you didn't cut it like it should.

7th. You will now have to do some work to the speaker cover. The speaker cover is designed to block the light coming from the brake light from entering the speaker compartment. There is a lip that fit over the stock subwoofer and it fit flush with the cover. With an aftermarket speaker you will have to saw a large chunk of that lip off of the cover to keep from damaging the rubber surround of the aftermarket speaker.

8th you will have to cover the hole that leads to the brake light compartment. ther is a 1 1/2" hole that exposes the brake light. I used a piece of cardboard and a hot glue gun to cover that hole. (I learned this lesson driving home at night and saw the white light coming through the speaker cover).

9th you have to connect the speaker wires to the new speaker or amp that you bought and then re-attach the speaker cover on the rear deck. But the tricky par is that you no longer have the clips that catch the cover as you slide it back. I used velcro on it and it works perfectly.

Now the speaker is installed and all I need to do is add the amp (I am getting that professionally installed) and I have to dynamat the trunk because it is not designed for the extra vibration or air pressure of an aftermarket speaker.

Im having the same problems with my 8in sub on my 91 LS 400 :chairshot:

Lexus want £127 for a replacement,i can get a better sub for less but have to mess about to get it to fit....ive just the cover over mine at present with no sub :chairshot:

Im still looking at my options,i want to keep the standard system.Ive been told i need a "Free Air" sub....ive been looking at the Kicker ones.

I also wanted to swap the stock sub, was quickly dismayed. My local car audio whiz strongly discouraged it, but offered another idea that he had used on a 2g GS. He removed the stock sub and replaced the screen, and then installed a sub under that in a box, where as the old sub location was working as a port. He said the sound acheived with this was 10x better than putting a 10" JL free air sub in the factory place.

I was thinking about that but I love my trunk space.

I was disapointed when i first looked in the boot of my LS 400 to find how small the boot was for such a big car because the fuel tanks in there behind the trim :rolleyes: :(

So no 12inch subs for me,i also like and need my boot(trunk) space.