Need help with ABS problems

2007 Lexus RX400h 180k

Trouble Codes
C1241(low/high batt voltage) 
C1391(leak in ABS pump)

I recently did a scan with techstream and found out that my brake system was all kinds of messed up. The main one being there is a leak in the ABS system so it needs to be replace(too expensive though). This morning I got an OBD scan and printout from Autozone and got those trouble codes. 

After the car got the brake actuator leak issue, I've been driving around for a while with really messed up brakes. When the brakes kick in, it stutters. And there's also a semi grinding noise when in motion. I replaced the rotors and the brakes not too long ago so I know they aren't the problem. 

My main issue is this, for the life of this car, I've consistently gotten 32mpgs. But with this issue, my mpg is down to 19! I can do without an ABS system no problem but why's my main brake system acting like this? I've taken the brakes apart and lubed the pins. They don't feel like they are catching but I could be wrong.

Did you do this, yourself or have a Lexus or Toyota certified mechanic do it? Since our first brake job was required at about 120,000 miles, I spent the money to have the dealership do it. They've been perfect ever since.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, RX400h said:

Did you do this, yourself or have a Lexus or Toyota certified mechanic do it? Since our first brake job was required at about 120,000 miles, I spent the money to have the dealership do it. They've been perfect ever since.

I do all my work myself since I cannot afford the work to be done at a mechanic or dealership. But even if I could afford it, I'd choose to still do the work myself. 

Regarding the RX400h brake system, they are amazing. They're extremely long lasting. I got 100k out of my first set of brakes. 

Regarding the issue I'm having now, I found the fix. Usually, people would replace the entire ABS system, which can range from $500-$1500 if done by a shop or dealership. The actual culprit is that the little motor inside the ABS system wears out and needs to be replaced or cleaned up. It's a basic DC brush motor. 

Really, finding that culprit gave me a new appreciation for cars and DC electric motors lol. I've owned this Rx400h since 2010 and it's always been a joy to drive. So when that little motor failed, it made me realized how such a small thing can contribute to modern life.

Btw, how many mpgs are you getting out of your RX? My top was 32-33ish. I don't think you can top that lol.

That's great news, Twan. Where did you find the replacement motor? I used to do brake servicing in our garage but decided to have them done by professionals as I got older. And since our frequency of driving is reduced, the need for brake service is widely spaced. I still change engine and transmission oils, as well as air filters, myself.
I would say that the bulk of our driving is on the highway, now that we are mostly retired. Historically our average with all-wheel drive has been 25-27 MPG, so your fuel mileage appears to be exceptional. Is it mostly city (stop & go) driving?

At the time we bought our RX400h, the non-hybrid versions were RX330s which were averaging about 19 MPG, city/highway.