Loud Screeching Sound

A loud, high-pitched sound has started happening sparadically on my GS300. The sound seems to come from under/inside the dashboard behind the steering wheel. It started 3 weeks ago, and lasted a few bursts for a few seconds. Today it started on the freeway and was continuous for about 2 minutes. Turned the car off, and started after 3 minutes, and it started the sound again.

Left car off for 10 minutes, and started it and sound was gone.

The Brake, and all engine/warning lights came on when the sound happened. The lights are now all off.

The car did not stop running, didnt loose power, the steering was working fine, and the brakes worked...

Does anyone know what this could be?

Please help!!!

Thanks - David

Is the noise electrical, like a warning "BEEEEEEEEPPPP" or mechanical? If it's a warning beep, you'll have to have the dealer check for codes. Most likely a sensor is malfunctioning and/or there is a problem relating to the brake or VSC system.

If you've ever hit a turn too hard and activated VSC, you will have heard the loud "BEEEEEEEEPPPP" I'm refering to. That sound is the hazard warning chime. It may also sound if a problem in the brake system is detected.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got the same screech on my GS400, it happens intermittantly making it difficult to resolve. My engine light also eventually comes on. The shop said it is engine error code 1252, there are no lexus dealerships in my area and they won't help over the phone so I'm trying to get my hands on a service manual to figure out how to diagnose the problem. I love the car so nothing will sway me from keeping it, including the less than helpful local toyota dealership.

The problem is related to the abs brakes, the screech sounds like it is in the dash but it is actually in the engine compartment. Apparently it is a problem with a sensor rather than with the brake itself. I've unplugged my abs until we figure out how to get it fixed. If anyone knows how to fix this problem or diagnose a 1252 error code please drop me a line.

• 1 year later...
I've got the same screech on my GS400, it happens intermittantly making it difficult to resolve.  My engine light also eventually comes on.  The shop said it is engine error code 1252, there are no lexus dealerships in my area and they won't help over the phone so I'm trying to get my hands on a service manual to figure out how to diagnose the problem.  I love the car so nothing will sway me from keeping it, including the less than helpful local toyota dealership.

The problem is related to the abs brakes, the screech sounds like it is in the dash but it is actually in the engine compartment.  Apparently it is a problem with a sensor rather than with the brake itself.  I've unplugged my abs until we figure out how to get it fixed.  If anyone knows how to fix this problem or diagnose a 1252 error code please drop me a line.

Yeah, I've the same problem. At first I though the fluid was low, but after I changed the brake pads the sound was completely disappear. After one day, the sound came back even noisier and about five warning lights came on. So, If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please please let us know. Thanks.

I've got the same screech on my GS400, it happens intermittantly making it difficult to resolve.  My engine light also eventually comes on.  The shop said it is engine error code 1252, there are no lexus dealerships in my area and they won't help over the phone so I'm trying to get my hands on a service manual to figure out how to diagnose the problem.  I love the car so nothing will sway me from keeping it, including the less than helpful local toyota dealership.

The problem is related to the abs brakes, the screech sounds like it is in the dash but it is actually in the engine compartment.  Apparently it is a problem with a sensor rather than with the brake itself.  I've unplugged my abs until we figure out how to get it fixed.  If anyone knows how to fix this problem or diagnose a 1252 error code please drop me a line.

Yeah, I've the same problem. At first I though the fluid was low, but after I changed the brake pads the sound was completely disappear. After one day, the sound came back even noisier and about five warning lights came on. So, If anyone knows how to fix this problem, please please let us know. Thanks.

I called a Tech. at a Lexus dealer. He told me that he thinks the problem might be a 'street sensor', but he has to look at it. So, my appointment is on Tuesday, will let you guys know after that.

I called a Tech. at a Lexus dealer. He told me that he thinks the problem might be a 'street sensor', but he has to look at it. So, my appointment is on Tuesday, will let you guys know after that.

I had a problem similar to this on a 2000 gs 300 it turn out to be the hydralic brake booster had to be replaced

I had a problem similar to this on a 2000 gs 300 it turn out to be the hydralic brake booster had to be replaced

I went to the dealer this morning and after the Tech. checked it out. He said that the brake master cylinder need to be replaced and the cost is around $2800, $2200 for the labor and $600 for the part. But I declined to repair it. When I got home, I made a several calls to a different dealers and the cheapest one is around $1600, $1075 + tax for the part and around $400 for the labor. When I talked to my friend, he told me that he has a friend who is working at a Toyota dealer. So we call him and he said that he think the problem likely is the hydrolic brake booster which is the same with the last replied to this post. So, before I take my car to the Lexus dealer, I'll take my car to the guy at the Toyota dealer first and hopefully he'll figure out. I'll update tomorrow.

• 1 year later...

It seems this is common and expensive problem. Weird for a car of this quality. I disconnected the ABS almost two years ago, plus I had a mechanic disconnect a warning noise cable. The car brakes fine, and so far I saved $3000 that people say it costs to repair. The warning lights stay on, but I do not care. I wonder if I will fix it one day. Several other parts collapsed after the 70K miles, water pump, alternator . . .