Rotating Ps Damper Support Bracket

lex4me

I am replacing my PS rack on my 91LS with a rebuilt one from O'Reilly's. Trouble is, the new one has the damper support bracket situated at about the 7 o'clock position rather than the 9 o'clock position once the rack is mounted. This results in the steering damper hitting the crossmember support when you go to mount it. The service manual indicates that you need a special service tool (likely a custom-sized thin wrench) to loosen the lock nut (which by spec is 53 ft lbs) which is hidden under the boot.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to get this bracket rotated where it needs to be? 53 ft pounds of torque is no small amount. I seriously doubt if it is possible to just tap it over. I suppose that i could always get another rebuilt unit from O'Reilly's, but I hate to wait even longer to have my car put together again.

Problem solved - after lightely tapping on the bracket with a small hammer to no avail (and after tightening the rack mounting brackets that hold the rack to the crossmember), I placed a small block of wood between the bracket and my floor jack and used the jack to push up on the bracket - the bracket rotated as if it wasn't even held in place with a lock nut. Ah, the power of hydraulics... :D