Which Alpine Amp Is Better?

Hello Everyone,

My trusty little Alpine MRP-T406 amp is toast. I was using it to power a crappy 10" Sony Sub. I really want my bass back, but don't want to break the bank.

There are two amps that I am looking at on Ebay right now:

- Alpine MRV-T320 (110W x 2 RMS or 220W x 1 RMS)

- Alpine MRP-M320 (220W x 1 RMS single channel amp)

They are roughly the same price, although the second is a bit cheaper. Which amp do you think is better for powering a single sub?

Also, I am thinking of replacing my crappy Sony Sub with a 10" Alpine Type R.

Thanks for your input!

Bryan

Hmmm . . those brands sound interesting. I have read some reviews, and they sound like they are excellent subs. However, the companies seem to be small and their products are hard to find.

I have jut always liked Alpine. I have an Alpine deck which I have been really pleased with, and my old Alpine amp was excellent for the time it served. It had a very low RMS rating, but still managed to pound the sub I had. Alpines are usually underrated.

A friend of mine has the Type R sub and I think it sounds great. That is why I thought I would go with that sub.

I don't want to spend too much money either. It's not a competition stereo I am after . . .

What I was looking at getting now is the following:

- Alpine MRD-M301 (Single Channel 350W RMS at 2ohms)

- Alpine Dual Voice Coil SWR-1041D (4ohm + 4ohm)

I was thinking I would hook up the Dual Voice Coil in parallel to the amp. The amp is a type D which is supposed to be good for this setup. All of the settings are digitally controlled to whih is kind of neat.

I can get both the amp and the sub for $445CAN ($325US) including shipping. I looked in a competitivly-priced audio store and they want $750CAN ($577US) for the exact same setup.

Assuming that I have a preference for Alpine, what do you guys think of this?

Thanks!

Bryan

the single mono block amp and the dvc sub would work nice

i would go with that combo

remember if it is from outside canada you will be paying large for brokaerage and shipping of an amp and especially the sub for weight

kaptions are pretty easy to find locally , the image ones are a bit tougher to find but are amazing

the single mono block amp and the dvc sub would work nice

i would go with that combo

remember if it is from outside canada you will be paying large for brokaerage and shipping of an amp and especially the sub for weight

kaptions are pretty easy to find locally , the image ones are a bit tougher to find but are amazing

Thanks SK,

I can get both the sub and amp for $445CAN ($325US), and this price includes shipping. Yes, shipping is very expensive (I think the shipping is about $135CAN for both items). Thus, I am paying $345CAN for the items and $100CAN for the shipping. Not too bad.

I don't think I should get charged any duties because of the Free Trade Agreement and the fact that Alpine is an American company. Not sure about the brokerage fees though. Do you know how brokerage fees work? I think canada post charges like $5.00 or something. The package will be sent to me through the United States Postal Service . . .

I am planning on paying for this sub and amp tonight.

Thanks for your help!

Bryan

lmao

sorry

you obviously never bought anything and shipped to home.

WOW customs canada will have a feild day .

They will charge you tax then a brokerage fee to acess the taxes then tax on the broakerage fee.

so for 445 add 20% atleast to get a rough estimate

of $550

i hate shipping stuff here it can be a pain

lmao

sorry

you obviously never bought anything and shipped to home.

WOW  customs canada will have a feild day .

They will charge you tax then a brokerage fee to acess the taxes then tax on the broakerage fee.

so for 445 add 20% atleast to get a rough estimate

of $550

i hate shipping stuff here it can be a pain

Haha SK :) You are so right!

Yes, our Canadian government is EXTREMELY greedy when it comes to taxes! I have had a few things shipped here from the US, only nothing of this size. Usually they are small things, and he brokerage fee is like $5 max. I am aware that I will have to pay the 15% tax for both GST and PST, so I guess I know what I am in for.

The price that listed if I were to buy locally did not include taxes either, so either way, the stupid Canadian governement is going to get their 15% in some form or another.

Here is the price breakdown in two scenarios: buying on ebay, and buying local

BUYING ON EBAY:

$345CAN items + $100CAN shipping + $066.75CAN taxes + $15.00 brokerage (estimated) = $526.75CAN total

BUYING LOCALLY:

$750CAN items + $000CAN shipping + $112.50CAN taxes + $00.00 brokerage (estimated) = $862.50CAN total

Thus, by buying on Ebay, I save $335.75CAN, even with shipping and brokerage and everything considered . . .

Now, this is all conditional on the brokerage of course. Hopefully it doesn't get too out of hand . . .

Thanks for your input :)

Bryan

usually they use a percentage for charging brokerage

when i worked for UPS years a go

some idiot sent a copy of a program and its reatil was 20 000 for it

so there was a brokerage fee of 2000 and the guy freaked an sent it back

remeber this was just a CD in a sleeve nothing else

I woudl look on ebay but stick to canadian sellers only which simplfies things for shipping an customs way cheaper

I think I am just going to spend the extra money on brokerage fees and stuff. I have ordered stuff from the States before and it has never been too bad. Even if I pay taxes and an additional 10%, it is still cheaper than I could get it anywhere else.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your input,

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked into brokerage fees a little more and found that you get stuck with huge fees if you ship with a courier like UPS. However, if you ship using United States Postal Service then you only have to pay $5. Not too bad . . .

Regards,

Bryan