Navigation

rob gx470

I have recently purchased a new GX470 with navigation and rear seat DVD. I have no problems at 1000 miles and absolutely love the car. This is my second car with a navigation system. My other car, an acura, allows for entering navigation information while driving which makes changing locations easy whereas in the Lexus you have to be stopped. Does anyone know if there is any way to modify the Lexus navigation system to allow for entering navigation data (destinations, address, etc.) while driving? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have noticed this question asked many times. However, no one seems to post a reply. If nayone does know a way to disable the safe feature please let us know as we are quite frustrated with it.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You can enter most information using your voice activated options. If you say Mexican Food, the Nav will display mexican food location icons on you screen. This works the same way for most other Nav options.

The reason nobody answers is because there really isn't a way, people ask all the time without performing a search beforehand and people get tired of posting the same reply.

This is probably the 15th time I've written this reply.

The system relies on a component called the speed sensor to help extrapolate the vehicle's speed and position. Contact with the GPS satellites is intermittant, and its because of the speed sensor and the last GPS fixed location that the system can pinpoint the vehicle's location and heading and deliver uninterupted performance.

The speed sensor also tells the system when to disable certain functions.

Making the system operate at speed is as easy as disconnecting the speed sensor, but then you seriously reduce the system's effectiveness.

I have seen people with advanced wiring experience install switches so the sensor can be deactivated to allow address input and re-activated to allow proper system performance but this is difficult and will certainly void the navigation warranty.

Basically, unfortunately, you're stuck with it as-is.