Xm Radio-confusion

Just called Keyes Lexus. According to the parts guy, over the phone, the XM kit will work for production dates of July 04 and later. He looked up the differences between 04 and 05 head units and said the 05 has Bluetooth. Does anyone here know how true this is? I'd really like to add XM to my car- Heck, bluetooth as well.

Nothing that I have heard, including looking at the 05 steering wheel leads me to believe it has bluetooth. If it had bluetooth there would be answer/hang up buttons on the wheel and there aren't any.

It's a done deal. Had the XM kit installed today and I am happy to report that it is working and sounding just great. The purchase price for the kit was $488.00 plus $185.00 for installation. I would seriously consider giving Darrel Diller of Sewell Lexus of Dallas a call if your local dealer does not have a good price for the kit. His phone number is 1 866 770-3099. The web sight for Sewell Lexus is:

http://www.lexus-parts.com

After I called XM Radio to activate the radio it was up and running only after about an 8 minute or so wait. So far, so good. My wife and I have to go out tonight so will do a little channel surfing. Thanks once again to everyone who took the time to answer my initial questions and for affording such great advice and news to all of us on this forum. Mike

My XM Radio was installed today by North Park Lexus of San Antonio. Cost was 424.35 parts 293.76 labor 32.89 tax for 751.00 total. After I called to activate, it took about 20 min to "take". Sounds great and works just as I had assumed -- all text about the station and song display on the NAV screen. There is a soft button to advance types of stations, and three screens of 6 buttons each to set favorites. Toggle from AM to SAT1, SAT2, SAT3 button screen with the AM/SAT hard button on the right of the screen. The antenna is black and about 2.5in square on the trunk lid -- not very attractive on a white car! I called XM tech support to ask if the ant can be painted to match the vehicle. They said "YES" just paint it with normal auto paint. I'm going to investigate a little more before I commit to painting it.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the performance of the XM kit.

Ken

I took delivery of my 2004 ES330 on Feb 23, 2004, in Austin, TX. The sticker on the door says it was assembled in 01/04. I think the info a prior poster received from the dlr parts person was in error about the year. Maybe the part is good for all units assembled after 07/03, which would be about when the 2004s started assembly.

Ken

Not certain about production date right now. Will check tomorrow. However, from what I understand the kit will work on your Es 330 as long as you have navi. If you have navi and the AM-Sat button then you should be set to go. I purchased my car in May so production date is well ahead of what Keith Lexus advised. I agree, the antenna is not great, but I will have it painted and what the hell, I really enjoy XM so I can surely put up with it. Mike

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll order my unit from the dealer tomorrow and have to just figure it out myself. If it doesn't work out, then It'll be up for grabs here. BTW- I read the aforementioned part #, but what is the part # of the one you guys ordered. My dealer qulted me a price a lot lower than what I've read so far and I don't want to order the worng part.

Not certain about production date right now. Will check tomorrow. However, from what I understand the kit will work on your Es 330 as long as you have navi. If you have navi and the AM-Sat button then you should be set to go. I purchased my car in May so production date is well ahead of what Keith Lexus advised. I agree, the antenna is not great, but I will have it painted and what the hell, I really enjoy XM so I can surely put up with it. Mike

Where does the antenna go and what does it look like? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!

The part number for the XM kit is: 86100-0W100. Again, there seems to be a wide range of prices for the kit. Remember, since the dealerships are privately owned they can set prices totally on their own. The production date or date my car was shipped from Japan was March 7, 2004-again, well ahead of the date that the parts guy at Keith Lexus stated. Also, the 05 ES 330 does not have Bluetooth, so have no idea what he may have been looking at when he gave out that info. By the way, you can find out all sorts of good stuff if you give your dealership a call an d speak to the parts guy. Once he has your VIN he can tell you when your car was shipped, what it has on it, engine number, etc. The antenna is mounted on the trunk lid. Mine is a few inches down from the top on the right side approx. 3/8-1/2" from the edge. It is a square box perhaps 3" x 3" x 3/4", is black in color. Again, I will get used to it and having XM is well worth the little cosmetic annoyance created by the antenna. Hope that answers most of your questions. Again, if you have the navi system with the AM-Sat button then you are set to go. Mike

I forgot to mention that the antenna has rounded corners. Again, it is black, but I was told that it could be painted to match the color of your color. Also, if your dealer is asking a high price for the kit try giving Darrel Diller of Sewell Lexus, 1 866 770-3099 a call. I cannot see why your dealership would give you any problems with respect to having it installed, regardless of where you purchse it. Mike

Ken was correct, all ES's manufactured after July 2003 have the AM-Sat button on the navi panel. Confirmed this info with Darrel Diller, Sewell Lexus of Dallas. He also stated that the correct price for the XM kit from Sewell Lexus is $369.00, not $488.00 as I stated earlier. That indeed is a fantastic price.

Again, Darrel's phone number at Sewell Lexus is 1 866 770-3099 and the web sight is

www.lexus-parts.com

Note, he also sells some parts on EBay. Mike