Excessive Headlight Bulb Replacement

cuball

I have a 2001 RX300. I owed the vehicle for about 18 months. I had one of the headlamps go out about 6 months ago and decided to replace both with a set of Sylvania's Silver Stars. They put out a nice white light and I really enjoyed them until one of them when out. Only lasted about 6 months! At $40 pair I thought this can't be right. Is this normal life for a halogen bulb? I also wanted to mention that I do use the auto headlights on my vehicle. The lights come on everytime I start the car in the garage. Will this cause exsessive wear on the bulbs?

Its not a easy task to change these bulbs and not to mention the cost. I really would like a product that would last a year or more. Any suggestions?

I have HIDs in my RX, but I run the Silverstars in my SC300.

I find that they last less than a year for me also. Since they run hotter, I have been told that they will burn out faster than a normal halogen bulb.

But, ---- I like how they look better, so I live with it. I also drive a lot at night and I feel like I can see better with them.

Tom

If you're talking high beam bulbs they will fail sooner with the DRL voltage. Something about operating halogen gas bulbs below design voltage causes the inside of the glass encapsulation to soot over.

My highbeams work fine, never replaced them yet. Its the normal headlight bulb thats the issue.

I do NOT have them on all the time. I use the "Auto" feature on the headlights switch. They come on when I start the car in the garage. Because its dark the sensor turns on the headlights, when I back out of the garage the headlights turn off. As far as cleaning the bulbs go. Is it neccessary when coming directly of the package? Do you use a cotton towel? I know your not to touch the bulb with your bare hands, which I've never none.

Has anyone had any luck with PlasmaGlow bulbs? They have a 10 year warranty and will exchange them when they blow out. Sounds to good to be ture.

never heard of plasma glow

regualr halogen or silverstars are the only ones i will go with other than HID's

also don;t use a cotton towel

use an alchol swab if needed

and you should always clean tehm befoer installing and make sure they dont get scratched when inserting them as is common in hard to reach places.