Common Problems To Look For When Buying A Sc3/400

In the market for a SC300 or SC400

Are there any specific problems to look for when shopping?

Like to know know this stuff so I can have the dealer repair or replace before purchase

(Ill of course take it to a mechanic but Id like to know the common problems anyway)

Thanks

Not sure about the SC's, but on the early LS's (90-96)- the instrument clusters can go out, the "LCD" in the climate controls go dark and power steering leaks crop up. I would guess that the first two may be also possible on the SC's. Not sure if they have the power steering leaks or not. Other than that- if they are like the LS400s, they are nearly bulletproof.

Ive heard about the power steering thing, Ill definitely look into that

Interesting you note the instrument cluster

One of the SCs I recently drove had two of the needles lights go out; couldnt tell what it was pointing at (This is of course obvious to detect)

Anything else?

Off topic but when can I start posting the for sale forum? :)

Climate Control screen bleeds and turns black (goes away in high summer temps but comes right back) hatch struts get weak and put lumpin your noggin, headlamp assemblies collect condensation, power windows get slow and in colder weather stop and instrument panel needles get dark spots that come and go. The list goes on and on, read the rest of the board for additional bugs.

In the market for a SC300 or SC400

Are there any specific problems to look for when shopping?

Like to know know this stuff so I can have the dealer repair or replace before purchase

(Ill of course take it to a mechanic but Id like to know the common problems anyway)

Thanks

SC400 has problems with clear coat, Also center of trim for inside windows along doors can split. The AC display goes black. The seat frame can break easily. Look in these general areas. I have never had a mechanical problem just keep maintained. :cheers: