Oil Change

Richard

I just found this site. I bought a used 2003 Lexus RX300 with 11K miles. It is now up for the first oil/filter change since we bought it. I happened to browse through some of the topics shown here and was surprised to read about problems with seals from using synthetic oils. I was planning on performing the oil/filter change myself using Castrol 10-30 Synthetic Blend and a NAPA 1348 filter. However, now I'm not so sure I should perform this myself and take the car back to the dealership for the oil change. I won't have any recourse with Lexus if I perform the job myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have not personally been using synt oil in my RX - only using oil from the earth and changing every 3000 miles or so. Probably more often than most folks would do but I build automotive engines for fun and believe in frequent oil changes. If I changed that frequently with synth it would cost me four times what dino oil costs - forget it!

Changing the filter on these is a bit tricky just because of the placement and close quarters. When you buy a new filter get one with an anti-drainback device - that way when you pull it next time most of the oil stays in the filter instead of slopping out when you maneuver the filter out. I think changing the oil yourself is a better idea than sending to a shop. The shop monkey is WAY less likely to care about making a mess with the filter than you will be.

Regarding synth oil, I've not read any of the threads here. But I run 5-30 synth oil in my 34 year old Buick GS455 and don't have any oil leaks. I put the engine in there 10 years ago and still no leaks. I can guarantee the Toyota engine has better machine tolerances than the mating surfaces on the Buick engine. What would you think? The Buick gets synth oil because oil changes are only about once every 9 months on it due to only about 1000 miles a year. I found the synth oil to be way more stable and less likely to vaporize from the heat of a 450 horse engine.

If you go to Lexus for an oil change they'll put Engine Oil Supplement in with the oil and charge you for it. I don't put it in mine since it gets new oil every 3000 anyway.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

...from the Mobile 1 website:

"Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use."

"With the exception of the Mazda rotary engine (Mazda does not recommend any synthetic motor oils), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ will not void new-car warranties. Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ exceeds the API and ILSAC motor oil service requirements of all new-car manufacturers, both import and domestic. If in doubt, always check your vehicle owner's manual or contact your vehicle's manufacturer."

BTW, simply save your receipts of oil and filter and Lexus will never be able to blame you or the oil for any problems that may occur down the road. I have been changing the oil in my Corvette since its first 3000 miles (and every year-5500 miles, after that) I use nothing but Mobil 1 5W-30.

I use Mobil 1 5W 30 in my 01 ES.......no problems & I recommend using synthetic always for the better protection, better flowing at extreme cold tempetatures not to mention many other reasons (but I don't want to write a novel here lol). Because your RX is under full factory warranty, I would see if you can arrange something with your servicing dealer to bring your own oil & filter to give to them & let them change your oil & charging you a labour fee of course......but the main reason is to get a receipt! Proof that the maintenance is being done & the records will be on their computer just in case there is any major engine related issue down the road. That way, they can't say anything about regular maintenance being performed! Just my 2 cents. :)

:cheers:

I've been using Castrol 5w 30 in both my RX300s. Would it be advisable to switch to synth now that both cars have 74,000mi. on them??? I don't want my cars to go into withdrawal!!!

The mileage does not matter as long as you don't have any oil leaks to begin with. If you do, get them repaired before you switch to synthetic. Vehicles with higher milage might want to consider a 10W30 grade. I have 52,000 miles on mine & she doesen't burn a drop of Mobil 1 5W 30. B)

:cheers: