99 Lx470 Cd Unit Blues

jmori

My 6 disk in dash Nakamichi system in my 99LX470 stopped playing CD’s so I bought a replacement off E-bay for 250$ only to have it brake the same way 2 weeks later. As I have recently learned this seems to be a recurring problem with the Nakamichi systems in this truck and several stereo shops offer fixes to the problem. The first thing I learned is that if you look at the unit it is actually not a Nakamichi at all but actually made by Fujitsu San (I think this is Japanese for junk).

Here is my question?

1. Should I have the unit repaired (250$ to 350$) thus using the original Nakamichi Amp located under the passenger seat OR should I scrap the head unit and replace it with after market stuff?

2. Also does anyone have a suggestion that doesn’t cost big $$$$$?

3. Are there double din multi-disk cd/dvd players available that will fit in the existing hole?

4. Should I try or is it possible to still tie in to the existing amp?

5. If I go to a new system any input on if XM is it worth it?

6. Any body need a broke unit? i have two

Thanks for the feedback

Jeff

I have heard this problem a lot lately. Especially on the 1999 LX470's. I took a look at Crutchfields and the news was NOT good. I would recommend giving them a call to discuss it over the phone.

1999 LX 470

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wZ0QSW8flz7/c...utoinfo.asp?lp=

1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wZ0QSW8flz7/c...utoinfo.asp?lp=

Good Luck.

IMHO, I think the best (and cheapest) option is to get the factory deck fixed. I know it's not as fun as buying new toys, but nothing is going to look as good as the OEM deck. The way they have designed the bezel that goes around the deck, it's going to be expensive to have something fabricated to make an aftermarket unit look good.

1) See above.

2) I don't.

3) Yes

4) I've heard good things.

5) No thanks.

Good luck!