Buying An Sc300

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site. I have a question and I would appreciate any help at all that can be given. OK so here's the question: I was wandering what kind of reliability and maintenance costs i can expect from buying a '92-'95 SC300 with about 90k miles on it. I am about to go to college and would like to no peoples opinion on if I can afford it if I work about 35 hrs a week and get about $8 an hour. I don't officially own an SC300 yet, but I am seriously considering purchasing one. Any help at all is very appreciated.

Thank you!

I own a 93 GS300, which has the same motor, and the car is perfect. Its got 120k, and there has been no major mechanical problems at all yet, and only 1 interior piece has broken (minor). The car drives extremely smooth, compression is perfect, and the leather is holding up like a champ with no major wear or tears or anything like that. I highly suggest a lexus with the 2jz, I have a lot of faith in this motor and its reliablity. Overall, I would say the sc300 would be a great car.

Thanks a lot for that information. I just don't want to buy a car and be in the same situation i was with my last one. It was a 300zx in which i replaced the clutch system, all the belts, the master and slave cylinders (twice), and the suspension needed to be totally replaced. I am considering a Lexus SC300 because of the reliablity ratings I have seen, the luxery, and the sporty ride. Thanks for your input alexR.

what are you plans? i suggest you get a sc400 because the engine lasts longer and is more powerful stock. my 95 sc is just now rolling up to 80k and i have ahd a few problems already

tranny mount replace

motor mount replace

lower control arm replace

o-ring replace

something else was leaking oil

my valve stem gaskets are worn so now im burning oil

my shocks at shot

trunk lid shocks are shot

for a grand total of... i dont even want to think about it :cries:

BUT all of that is wear and tear. make sure the car has had its 90k service done to it and you wont have these problems.

on 2jzge engines its common for the valve stem gaskets to go out around 60k. on the 1uzfe it goes out 150k. the v8 lasts much longer and i have never heard of serious problems with them.

i plan on selling mine soon for a 98 sc400

no i bought a lemon :angry: but thats ok because my compression ratio is awsome. i drove it hard once i got it but now i drive it calm. i get about 23-24mpg.

the sc300 and sc400 are the same other than engines. the stock mpg is about the same aswell. sc400 only came in auto, while 97 and earlier sc300s had a 5speed option. other than that they are the same.

Well, right now I am looking in the 8000-9000 price range. I am still trying to sell my '89 300zx and then I can get a more exact estimate at the money I can spend. I just don't want to spend almost $3000 dollars on repairs in the 7 months i owned it! :angry: But i kinda got used to my bad luck. Also is there really that big of a difference in insurance of the two models? I take it the SC400's is higher but by how much?

Thanks everybody for your information!

I recently got an 93 sc300 with 110k miles (March) and it's my perfect little baby. There was the scare of needing to rid of it because of sky high insurance prices... but I still have it luckly. If you take the car to lexus to do maintience it costs way too much, especially if its just an oil change that you can do in like 2 hours. For reliability, I have yet to have anything go wrong. *knock Knock* Just make sure you check out the car well before buying it. I paid 12k for mine and have only put in the cost of a few hours of time for an oil change and radiator fluid changing. It's a wonderful car... I think I have bought more for new cleaning supplies than maintence. :)

I feel that it is worth it to have the car serviced by lexus, I sure know when I was looking for my pre-owned that was a BIG thing i looked for...yea, its cheaper now, but your resale value will be lowered.