2000 LS400 whining from crank pulley? / surrounding area

DanMystro

This whining noise has only started since I installed a new tensioner a few days ago, but after taking off the belt which puts the auxiliaries out of action the sound still persists. Listening closely to the noise it appears to come from the crank pulley? / surrounding area so hard to tell really. I had installed a new water pump, cambelt and idlers last year so it shouldn't be that although I did not replace the hydro tensioner (could it have lost a bit of tension causing the noise?), checked the valve body and filter but that was clean as can be with no crud or gunk, although the fluid was dark brownish/red (Could just need a drain and fill?). All fluids, PS, Coolant, engine oil, ATF etc are all topped up. Happens both in Drive and in Park.

Not really sure what it could be, any advice/help greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/6/2022 at 4:26 PM, DanMystro said:

This whining noise has only started since I installed a new tensioner a few days ago, but after taking off the belt which puts the auxiliaries out of action the sound still persists. Listening closely to the noise it appears to come from the crank pulley? / surrounding area so hard to tell really. I had installed a new water pump, cambelt and idlers last year so it shouldn't be that although I did not replace the hydro tensioner (could it have lost a bit of tension causing the noise?), checked the valve body and filter but that was clean as can be with no crud or gunk, although the fluid was dark brownish/red (Could just need a drain and fill?). All fluids, PS, Coolant, engine oil, ATF etc are all topped up. Happens both in Drive and in Park.

Not really sure what it could be, any advice/help greatly appreciated.

I have this exact problem with my 2007 460 and have not figured it out yet. It just recently started. I removed the belt and it also still persist. It happens only on a cold start and lasts for several minutes before it goes away. It does not return until the next cold start. I replaced the engine oil and filter, Then dropped the transmission pan and changed the filter just to rule that out. I've thought about changing the crank pulley but the sound does not seem to be an indication of a bad pulley from all that I've read. I don't have to rev the engine, the whine is loud with the car just idling.