Downshift Clunk

Dark Horse

Greetings All,

Just today while out doing errands, coming to a stop, when the transmission downshifts to second gear and first gear while braking I'm feeling a very noticeable clunk. Upshifts are smooth and normal. Has anyone experienced such, and can they share the remedy please? This is on my 2005 LS430 with 164K. I'm attempting to establish if this an external joint (as in universal) issue, or internal transmission issue. Any input would be most appreciated.

• 1 year later...

It's not a transmission problem that is causing this to happen. I researched this issue and figured out what the issue was. The problem is the E.C.M.. There was an extended warranty on this part because of this known Lexus issue (10 years after the factory).

My car was older, so I had my E.C.M. repaired. I had it removed and then sent to a shop in TX. After all my research, I found this company to be most reputable, and they did a great job.

There may be a company close to you that can do this. If not, message me and I'll give you the info on the company I used.